Question Restoring back-up from flash drive

schroedel

Honorable
Jan 1, 2018
I am working on a Toshiba Satellite L305-S5884 that originally had Vista Home Premium 32 bit.(yes old but temporary) Did a back up to flash drive then did a clean install. Then I upgraded to Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit. The laptop is working well but I can not get the files restored back on pc to be integrated with Win7. Did I screw up by not restoring files after clean install of Vista ...but before upgrade to Win7?
Any help appreciated

schroedel

Honorable
Jan 1, 2018
Yes, you 'screwed' up in at least a couple of steps.

What was this "backup"? Something from within Vista?
Your files should have been saved to somewhere else, not in a 'backup' from within Windows.
You can't resurrect a Vista backup in a Win 7 OS.
Thank you.. I figured as much. If I were to put Vista back on.... then restore backup from the flash drive ( did the back up through system back up) Then do in place upgrade to the Win 7 will this work?

schroedel

Honorable
Jan 1, 2018
So instead of starting a new post I thought I would continue with this one. I did revert back to vista Home Premium and still not able to restore back up I made on flash drive (with back up and restore) before clean install.
USAFRet thought that may be the case but hoping someone has an idea for me to try. I did start a folder on desk top of all the back up folders (file folders opened with winzip ) and still have original zipped back up on flash drive. I have tried to restore using Back up and Restore, Backup 4all Professional4 ( newer versions did not seem ti install on the Vista 32 bit) and Easy Transfer. I know this is OLD windows but if I can restore backup to correct locations I will do in place upgrade to Win7. when using Backup status and configuration I get to a point where it says the correct date when I did backup but says " backup location is unavailable."
Thank you

Last edited:
I am working on a Toshiba Satellite L305-S5884 that originally had Vista Home Premium 32 bit.(yes old but temporary)
Ugh. Toshiba laptops from about that time (Windows XP, Windows Vista) used a crazy one-drive Intel RST RAID configuration. I was never able to install Windows on the one Toshiba laptop I owned back then without using the original restore disks. If you somehow managed to to get a clean install of Windows on it and it's not set up as a one-drive Intel RST RAID, then your backup is of a fundamentally different hardware configuration than what you currently have.

That would be my guess as to why you can't restore it. It's expecting to see a RAID array, and instead is seeing a plain drive. (You can try going into the BIOS and setting the drive type from SATA/IDE to RAID. Unfortunately that may make your current Windows installation unbootable. And it's been too many years for me to remember how to get around that problem. But maybe it will allow you to restore your backup.)

Reactions: schroedel