[SOLVED] Restoring certain files from a windows 7 system image

Jan 28, 2020
Hello, I've recently built a new PC. On my old PC, I created a windows 7 system image as a backup on an external hard drive. I am trying to restore certain files to the new computer from this backup but it is not going too well. When I go to mount the system image, it does not work! It gives me an on-screen popup saying that it could not mount the file and says the disk image is not initialized. I have also tried going through the windows 7 restore but then it does not pick up the drive at all. However, the drive does appear in file explorer.

Solution
Hello, I've recently built a new PC. On my old PC, I created a windows 7 system image as a backup on an external hard drive. I am trying to restore certain files to the new computer from this backup but it is not going too well. When I go to mount the system image, it does not work! It gives me an on-screen popup saying that it could not mount the file and says the disk image is not initialized. I have also tried going through the windows 7 restore but then it does not pick up the drive at all. However, the drive does appear in file explorer.
Since you are trying to restore files from a image created in a different computer, go to Control Panel > System and Maintenance > Backup and Restore.
Click the Select another backup to...
Since you are trying to restore files from a image created in a different computer, go to Control Panel > System and Maintenance > Backup and Restore.
Click the Select another backup to restore files from link, select the backup location and then follow the steps in the wizard.
You might need to provide administrator password .
The files will be restored in a folder with the user name that was used to create the backup.
Navigate to the folder where the files are restored.
If your user name was User on the computer you made the backup, but your new user name is Admin on the new computer where the backup is being restored, the restored files will be saved in a folder named User.

Solution