Question Restoring OS on same drive/different partition

boagz

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2014
I just had a couple quick questions concerning what happens when I try and restore a system image to a separate partition on the same drive. I already shrunk my C:/ drive to create the unallocated separate partition and backed up my system image using Macrium Reflect 8. Would the next step of the process just be to reboot my computer with the Macrium Reboot thumb drive and just select my new partition to restore to (assuming it gives me that option)? Also, if I do restore my system image to this new partition will this also create another recovery partition?

Also, if I do restore my system image to this new partition will this also create another recovery partition?
Imaging will only write what it read in, so if you backed up the recovery partition then it will restore the system and the recovery, if you only backed up the system partition then only that one will be restored.

What will happen is that you will have two copies of the same system on the same drive, if you edit the BCDstore to include the second copy in the boot menu then you will be able to boot into both.

boagz

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2014
Sorry, I'll try and be more clear. Basically I want to have a dual boot computer with the same OS setup for both to start (in this case Windows 10 OS with my current installed programs). My intention is to have more of a development environment/testing setup for one boot and more my normal OS setup for the other. So I currently have Windows 10 installed with some programs and I want to just clone/restore this same setup to the other partition I created on my C drive so I don't have to reinstall my programs and configure my Win 10 setup again.

"Also, a screencap of your current Disk Management window."

I can do this when I get home a little later

USAFRet

Titan
A dual boot with identical OSs often brings problems.

I much prefer a VM environment for dev and testing.
Zero compatibility issues.

Or if they must be native OS's, individual physical drives, select at bootup.

But yes, a pic of your Disk Management window would help here.

boagz

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2014
Do you refuse to use another hard drive for this.....rather than a partition on the same drive?

Not necessarily. I guess my biggest problem with this is I already have 2 other internal drives installed with other stuff on them and have usb connected drives as well so didn't want to have to get another drive if possible (also have a mini-itx case build so not a ton of room). I also wasn't sure how much of a complication two OS's on the same drive would be

Lafong said:
What partitions did you choose to include in this "system image"?

C only?

C and what others?

I selected the main partition with my OS as well as the recovery and 1 other partition (wasn't sure what all I needed to select for ability to restore OS on another drive)

boagz

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2014
A dual boot with identical OSs often brings problems.

I much prefer a VM environment for dev and testing.
Zero compatibility issues.

Or if they must be native OS's, individual physical drives, select at bootup.

But yes, a pic of your Disk Management window would help here.

Well let me ask you, I do a lot of game development and in the past I've heard that virtual systems sometimes have issues with heavy graphical applications and you might have some unexpected issues inside a virtual machine when trying to develop and debug software like games. Would this still be a big issue?

USAFRet

Titan
Well let me ask you, I do a lot of game development and in the past I've heard that virtual systems sometimes have issues with heavy graphical applications and you might have some unexpected issues inside a virtual machine when trying to develop and debug software like games. Would this still be a big issue?
Yes, gaming performance through a VM can be very substandard.

But I would do the dev in the VM, test for basic functionality in the VM, move it to the real hardware for actual performance testing.
Depends on what you're debugging.

Actual code, or game engine performance.

But really, game dev/test/debug should be on the real hardware.
Being an itx system, with several drives already....makes this a bit difficult.

boagz

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2014
Here is a screenshot of my c: drive (Disk 2):

So from left to right is 100MB EFI System Parition - 637.93GB Main OS partition - 292.97GB Dev OS partition - 509MB Recovery partition

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
So you're looking to do this on the B partition on Disk 2?

(and in fact, B should not be used as a drive or partition letter. Windows has issues indexing that)

Yeah, you can do this I guess (I wouldn't)
But I would only proceed with a known good full drive backup of the entirety of Disk 2. Just in case things go weird.

boagz

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2014
So you're looking to do this on the B partition on Disk 2?

(and in fact, B should not be used as a drive or partition letter. Windows has issues indexing that)

Yeah, you can do this I guess (I wouldn't)
But I would only proceed with a known good full drive backup of the entirety of Disk 2. Just in case things go weird.

Huh, I never knew that about the drive letter. Okay, ya I'll guess I'll weigh my options and decide.