Restoring Windows 10 with Hardware Change

meer23

Commendable
Aug 11, 2016
Hello, my hard drive was just recently corrupted and completely broke. I had to install a new one and lost all of my data on my old drive. After booting up Windows 10 on the new drive, I find that I need the product key to fully activate my copy of Windows. Unfortunately, I misplaced the key and do not know where it is. I already bought the retail USB license of Windows 10 a while back and used the key to activate it on my old drive, so shouldn't there be a way to sync my windows account to my new drive and fully activate my OS? Without activating Windows I cannot do any customization and there are many minor annoyances, any help would be much appreciated, thanks.

Solution

Call MS and either go through the phone robot, or speak to a human.
They are generally very good about actual broken hardware changes.
if you bought it retail then you may need to contact MS to activate it but if you log into windows with a MS account it would already be linked up to it. if you just did the reinstall it can take 24-48 hours for your computer (assuming it is connected to the internet) to contact the activation servers. the steps in this article may be able to provide some help.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-re-activate-windows-10-after-hardware-change

USAFRet

Titan

You needed to sync things before parts died.
Don't you have a record of the license key somewhere?

With Windows 10, you need to create an account with Microsoft to carry your licenses over to other hardware configurations which is a painless operation compared to past Windows version hardware changes. If you have not created one, you need to. Then find that key. You might be able to find a copy of it on your receipt from where you purchased it from. Not sure about USB versions, but I know that's the way download versions work. That, or it's an invalid copy and we can't help.

tubagznyven

Distinguished
if u buy retail,and already pair it with your microsoft acc,all u need is when u install the win 10 just skip the session that ask serial number,click i dont have serial number,and after u finish just log in to your microsoft acc and it will be activated

meer23

Commendable
Aug 11, 2016
After reading all of your answers and doing a bit more research, I've found that I needed to manually sync my license to my real microsoft account on my old drive, however I never did this. My old harddrive is corrupted and inaccessible, so am I just completely screwed and need to spend $100 on a new license? If somebody can tell me an alternate way I would be very grateful, as right now this is very frustrating.

USAFRet

Titan

Call MS and either go through the phone robot, or speak to a human.
They are generally very good about actual broken hardware changes.

Solution