Restoring/Wiping Laptop without Restore Disk or Win 7?

Bakuryu42

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2010
My laptop which is a Asus GXG72 came with restore disks surprisingly, I guess it was right before they stopped putting them in the box. I never needed them till my harddrive started making noise. At first I didn't realize I had the restore disks, so I tried making my own using the program my computer had. It would always fail at the end. I Ended up making a image of my harddrive through windows not realizing I actually need a copy of windows to reload it. I ended up finding my restore disk and figure my worries were over.... Apparently it was corrupt it only partially loaded windows onto the machine, I managed somehow to tweak it enough to recognize my usb drive so that I could restore my computer to the old image. From then on it blue screened every once in a while, but it worked. I am having problems with games now and I'm not sure if its hardware or software related. I wanna try restoring the computers main files and see if that works if not just wiping it completely. Problem is I don't have working restore disks, can't make them and have no copy of windows 7. Is their anything I can do beside buy a copy of windows 7? Which I feel is retarded considering I have one technically.

Solution
You can download a Windows 7 OEM ISO online. It is completely legal as it has no keys in it. Once you download it you can burn it to a DVD or use a USB drive.

NOte you will have to match what OS you have to your current one - so if you have a Windows 7 Home premium - use that on the ISO. Also you use the key found on your laptop for the key for windows 7.

This is the best way if you think your re install disk's are corrupt.
You can download a Windows 7 OEM ISO online. It is completely legal as it has no keys in it. Once you download it you can burn it to a DVD or use a USB drive.

NOte you will have to match what OS you have to your current one - so if you have a Windows 7 Home premium - use that on the ISO. Also you use the key found on your laptop for the key for windows 7.

This is the best way if you think your re install disk's are corrupt.

Solution
Do a google search "Windows 7 OEM ISO download". It's actually posted in a lot of places.

http://techpp.com/2009/11/11/download-windows-7-iso-official-direct-download-links/

You will want the WIindows 7 with SP1 integrated in it.

Note to Mods: these are legit ISO's. They do not come with any keys, as they have to be entered manually.

Before you download it - use a download manager so it doesn't screw up on download. I like to use "Free Download Manager". It's excellent.

Edit: This ISO will allow for a COMPLETE re-install. It's the full Windows 7 install disc.

Bakuryu42

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2010
I hope this fixes my problem, if not I dunno what to do, if its still a software problem I need to do a wipe, if that doesn't work its a hardware problem. Any suggested software to do tests on hardware? I ran one of those MRI disks Geek Squad has, but it came back positive.

You can always check the event viewer, sometimes it has stuff in it:

Right click on "My Computer" icon - then select "Manage"

Event viewer should be there. Open it, then open "Windows Logs".

Check the "system, setup, application, and security" forms. See if you can spot any "Warning" signs or "errors" around the same time you had the BSOD.

I am not too sure at the moment where the dump files are located.