tsomek

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2015
Hi all,

So I am sharing a "parent" Folder with multiple users (win7 + win10), which contains a number of "child" subfolders.

I want to restrict access to one of these child folders, for a specific user. This user needs to keep having access to the rest of the folders.

Is this possible?

If so, could you please explain how?

Many thanks!

Ralston18

Titan
Reactions: tsomek

tsomek

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2015
Right, so I finally got it!

In a nutshell it works like this:

On the "Server" computer,

1 You share the parent folder giving Full Control to all users.
  • Select the Parent Folder
  • Right-Click > Properties > Sharing > Advanced Sharing
  • Tick Share this Folder
  • Permissions > Add Full Control for Everyone
  • OK and OK and OK
2 You deny access to the child folder for the specific user.
  • Select the Child Folder
  • Right-Click > Properties > Security > Edit
  • Select the User
  • Click Deny for Full Control
(You can also give him more permissions, but I want to completely remove access)

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2019
I have a question that may or may not be possible. I recently replaced my Workstation. I was running windows 7 Pro Now it's Windows 10 Pro.

I have 3 windows computers. One is called Server (Windows 7 Pro) one is called Jane-PC (Windows 7 Pro) and the Other is Bob-PC (Windows 10 Pro)

All Computers have the same Users, with the same respective passwords (Jane, Bob and Admin).

i have a folder on the Server called Private.

I would like to restrict access to the Private folder to Me (Bob) only.

I want to be able to access the file when I go to My-PC OR the Server and login under BoB, so that only I can have access to the private file.

When the Admin or Jane goes to any PC they do not have access to the private folder under their logins. (This part Works already)

I have sharing set up, and configured I have denied Jane and Admin access to the folder.
Admin and Jane cannot see the file when they are logged on to any computer. This takes care of restricting their access.

I can see the folder when I log on under Bob on the server. But I cannot see the folder when I am logged on to My-PC (I can see other non-resticted files on the server).

Is this possible or do I need a domain server? I believe I had this setup under Windows 7 (it might have been using homegroups) , but can't figure out how to do it under windows 10.

tsomek

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2015
i have a folder on the Server called Private.

I would like to restrict access to the Private folder to Me (Bob) only.

I want to be able to access the file when I go to My-PC OR the Server and login under BoB, so that only I can have access to the private file.

Is this possible or do I need a domain server? I believe I had this setup under Windows 7 (it might have been using homegroups) , but can't figure out how to do it under windows 10.

I'm not an expert on this, but from where I'm standing this looks like the very same problem I had. And I think it doesn't really matter if you're on win10 or win7.

I think you have to follow my instructions (share and then restrict under Security),

BUT and this is VERY important (and might be almost too obvious as well),

You have to make sure you that each user logs on to the server's network share with their OWN Logon Credentials. (Bob as Bob, Jane as Jane etc).

Your problem I suspect is, you may have used Bob's credentials to log on under Jane and Admin users, and saved the logon.
If this is the case, it would still logon as Bob automatically, without you even noticing > which would lead to the shares being available..

To avoid this, you need to "forget" all logons, so it will ask you next time which one to use.
(start -> Control Panel -> User Accounts and Family Safety -> Credential Manager > Windows Credentials)

Let me know if this helps!