Restrict shared folder to copy but can read

m_sohailashraf

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010
I want to prepare a video storage server and i want to give access to network users to play the movies but can't copy.......

and also many users can play same video movie.........

please guide me...

thanks

digitalprospecter

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
I don't think it can be done via Windows permissions, sorry to say. You would have to find some application (similiar to YouTube website) to distribute viewing of the stored videos. Perhaps you can do it as a Intranet Server!

Good luck.

G

This is possible. I'm not sure if it will be usefull in older Windows OSs than Win7, but try.
1# For examle create a Folder named ffff and put there some file like test.txt and write into this file some text, lik "It's working! :)".
2# Now ensure that this file doesn't inherit any permissions from folder ffff - if so, remove this bound.
3# Go up and change permissions for folder ffff (not sharing permissions!).
Add new group "Everyone" to the permissions list.
Edit the Advanced permissions, changing the option in the "Apply to: " drop-down list to "This folder only".
Change the checkbox on "List folder / read data" permission to DENY.
Press OK.

Now You cannt access folder "ffff" from Windows Explorer, so the content can't be copied.
You can access folder "ffff" from command line, but can't list any files and view any data in files if you know the file name - so the content can't be copied by use of the command line.

But if You write in Windows Explorer D:\ffff\test.txt and push enter you will see a notepad telling you: "It's working! :)"
If You make a shortcut and type the path ffff\test.txt by hand it will work too...

Conclusion:
There is no easy way to copy the content - you must know the file names (very usefull if you serve DVD structure and not ISO images)
It can be done in Windows.

Sorry for my bad English, I hope You understood me.

Piotr / Wrocław / Polska