Question Results of my GPU upgrade and THANK YOU Forum members

JetJetJaguar

Commendable
May 24, 2016
{oh and this is not so much a question post as a report. I would like folks advice and suggestions on any of this ALWAYS}

A big thank you for all the help with my recent upgrades. The results "blow the doors off" at least for my expectations for his older rig.

I started with this

HP Envy 700-430qe
Intel Core i7-4790 CPU @ 3.50Ghz
32 GB RAM
64-bit processor
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 745
Power Supply Delta 385W

And I got these numbers with the Unigine Heaven Benchmark (I don't know if that is a good one but it was free and was the best I could find based on a short search)
FPS:23.7
Score:596
Min FPS:7.0
Max FPS:45.4

Then I decided just to put in just the new power supply you folks tipped me to

Seasonic FOCUS series SSR-650FM 650W 80 + Gold Power Supply, Semi-Modular, ATX12V/EPS12V, Compact 140 mm Size, $89.99

Surprisingly I got 23.8 FPS and my score up to 600 but that might be margin of error stuff.

So then I dropped in the GPU

MSI Radeon RX 580 DirectX 12 RX 580 ARMOR 8G OC 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video ...$199.99 $20.00 Mail-in Rebate Card

and got

FPS:115.4
Score:2908
Min FPS:32.0
Max FPS:242.1

So I am pretty sure I am ready for that Oculus Rift S that I have on preorder.

Thank you so much for the expertise of Tom's Hardware Forum members. That, and being able to follow system builder video's, just might get me back into the PC building game (its' been over 20 years!).

Install Notes:
The HP had a semi hidden "mystery button" to release the old power supply so I lost some time until I watched a YouTube of someone pulling one.
It also had odd screw heads (hex like inside straight edge) but I was able to use a straight edge with care (slowed me down).
The RX 580 is GIGANTIC but it did fit with a little room to spare once I babied the cables around it.
With each install it was better to remove and then reconnect power lines that got in the way and once done, I did a rerouting of lines as I know how important air flow around fans is.

Honestly, it's not even minimally surprising since you already have a fairly decent CPU and went from a bicycle to a Camaro on the graphics card. I'm sure all those involved with your original post will be pleased to know it worked out well for you though. Glad to hear it.

Nice choice on the power supply as well. I would not have recommended trying to run that card on the power supply you had, Delta built unit or not. Regardless that it was a good OEM power supply, it was still an OEM power supply. What you have now will last you a good long time and be more than capable enough for any single graphics card that is currently being sold, or most likely, will be, for the foreseeable future should you upgrade again during the next five to ten years.

Reactions: DMAN999

JetJetJaguar

Commendable
May 24, 2016
Honestly, it's not even minimally surprising since you already have a fairly decent CPU and went from a bicycle to a Camaro on the graphics card. I'm sure all those involved with your original post will be pleased to know it worked out well for you though. Glad to hear it.

Nice choice on the power supply as well. I would not have recommended trying to run that card on the power supply you had, Delta built unit or not. Regardless that it was a good OEM power supply, it was still an OEM power supply. What you have now will last you a good long time and be more than capable enough for any single graphics card that is currently being sold, or most likely, will be, for the foreseeable future should you upgrade again during the next five to ten years.

Thanks and WOW five to ten years before the next upgrade! Things have settled down in the PC building game. Back in the day, I would upgrade my system once or twice a year and sometimes the very next big game would be above its spec's.

JetJetJaguar

Commendable
May 24, 2016
I just read up on the 2080 TI. Those spec's are shock and awe. I don't even think the car analogy works here. In cars (and whisky, and guitars) once you get past a golden price/performance point you have to pay a TON of cash to get to minimum improvements.

In comparison to the 2080 TI, I think I am on a bicycle but.... It's close to free when you consider the one grand price tag on the 2080 TI.

I will enjoy watching the price drop on this card over the next year or two.

I want that shock and awe.

Thanks folks.

Good luck waiting on that. Prices on the 1080 TI never really dropped in price much at any point between their release and the release of the 2080 TI. I expect even less to happen with the 2080 TI in terms of devaluation. Especially with manufacturers playing the production game very close to the hip after getting stuck with a lot of unsold stock after the bitcoin market dropped out.

JetJetJaguar

Commendable
May 24, 2016
Thanks, you seem very knowledgeable about this stuff. If it never happens it never happens and I'll have to look for bargains elsewhere. Life is managing expectations.

That's a great outlook and perspective, and 100% true. Nothing wrong with hoping for that perfect storm that makes an otherwise unlikely even become possible, but it's also good to temper those expectations with the acceptance that it might not and if it doesn't, well, maybe some other opportunity will. You are right. I wish all our members would grasp that concept rather than thinking "no, it needs to be my way".