[SOLVED] Resume from suspend doesn't work on new z690 build

Dec 6, 2021
Hello folks,

I wonder if anybody got suspend / resume working reliably on Alder Lake CPU / motherboards & NVME (on either Windows or Linux)? Perhaps this is so fresh, one would need to wait for more BIOS updates?

My build is

• gigabyte gaming-x z690 motherboard / 32GB DDR4 (no XMP) with F6a BIOS (latest at this time), 12700kf CPU and Samsung 970 pro NVME drive (boot) , NVIDIA GPU
  • dual-boot Win10 (21H1) and Ubuntu(21.10)
  • no overclocking

All works well. The only issue is suspend (S3, not hybernation): it doesn't want to resume. After the system would suspend i'd press a key or power button to resume - the computer would wake up, but instead of returning to the OS login screen it'd will just go through normal boot process as if it was powered without any prior suspend. This is the same on both Win10 and Ubuntu, so tend not to blame of the OS (my previous rigs were working fine with this setup for many years).

After linux boots - there is no logs after the suspend (i conclude it doesn't seem to come to the point where kernel comes alive during resume... at least not to the point where it can log to filesystem)

I did a fair bit of fiddling with various BIOS settings - disabling e-cores, disabling fast boot, anything even vaguely related to power management etc... doesn't seem to make any difference.

Since linux is still early in support of Alder Lake in addition to stock 5.13 kernel i also tried latest 5.15 and even latest RC of 5.16 - no difference

Another datapoint - i moved RAM + NVME + GPU to another older MB with intel skylake-gen CPU - both OS'es work well with suspend

So most basic question - does anyone have suspend/resume (s3) working reliably with z690 chipsets/CPUs (also maybe with NVME - this might be pertinent piece)

I'm thinking to try and follow something like this
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DebuggingKernelSuspend

but the fact that both OSes have same behavior makes me suspect this is an issue at lower layers...

Any help, pointers and shared experience is greatly appreciated.

Solution
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

With your new platform, did you recycle the prior platforms PSU? if so, can you include the make and model of the PSU reused from that build? Have you tried the OSes as stand alone? Ideally you should be on 21H2 for Windows 10(if you fabricated your bootable USB installer using Windows Media Creation Tools) but I'm suspecting that you should work with Windows 11 considering you're on Intel's 12th Gen processor.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

With your new platform, did you recycle the prior platforms PSU? if so, can you include the make and model of the PSU reused from that build? Have you tried the OSes as stand alone? Ideally you should be on 21H2 for Windows 10(if you fabricated your bootable USB installer using Windows Media Creation Tools) but I'm suspecting that you should work with Windows 11 considering you're on Intel's 12th Gen processor.

Solution
Dec 6, 2021
Thank you for the warm welcome and prompt reply Lutfij,

This might indeed be the issue - the old rig was powered by a EVGA 600, while new build has seasonic GX650... I don't have good instrument handy to measure consumption while suspended - it floats around 1-2-3W with very low power factor. Anyhow i rewired older PS to new MB and low&behold Win10 suspend/resume started to work... for linux i guess i'll need to try bunch of fresher kernels... but even linux now just hangs during resume - no longer boots from scratch.

Need to investigate the seasonic PS - perhaps new MB draws so little it shuts down... OTOH gigabyte MB has a setting to force dummy load on PS (however i don't know if this is meant for active or for standby - doesn't seem to make a difference. Maybe i'll try adding some resistor to draw little more power see if it helps. Any case - this is big help, thank you very much!