Resume in W2k: IRQL_NOT_EQUAL BSOD

G

Hi,

I got a problem with Win2k.. using suspend to ram in BIOS (STR3). Suspending works just fine, only waking up doesnt anymore. It used to work, but then I flashed my BIOS, and the system would come on for a few seconds, before shutting down again (nothing on screen). Power it on again, and it would just boot as normal (not resuming from the suspend state). So I flashed again to the previous version, and now upon resuming I get a blue screen of death: "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL". Been flashing back and forward, but I cant get it to work anymore.

I searched through the MS knowledge base. The error message seems to occur when you have a bad/outdated device driver. I searched other forums, and other people have reported the same error, on all kind of completely different hardware (both intel/intel, intel/via and amd/via). Although most have this problem randomly, not just when resuming like me.

Anybody have an idea ? I tried SP1, SP2, I got the latest 4-1 drivers from VIA, tried the USB filter patch.. nothing helps. Tried every possible and impossible BIOS setting also.

My specs:
MSI KT7 Turbo Raid (tried bios 2.5,2.6,2.7)
Duron 600@866 (tried @600, no difference)
256 Mb PC133
Geforce MX DDR (crappy Creative card)
Aureal Vortex Turtle Beach Montego II (im suspecting this one)
.. other stuff like DVD, intellimouse explorer and intellitype keyboard..

---- Owner of the only Dell computer with a AMD chip

munkey

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2001
the only way that i know how to easily fix that is to disble suspend to RAM and enable suspend to disk

is this reality... i thought it would more realistic.

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The fact you got the aureal card running at all in win2k is a testament to your fortitude. I would be highly suspect of that piece of hardware.

A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing!

G

"The fact you got the aureal card running at all in win2k is a testament to your fortitude."

I got it working by disabling hardware acceleration in DirectX, and by running WPCRSET and setting register 40h to FF on the soundcard device. It works ! If you (or anyone) needs a hand, let me, I'll look up the URL

And indeed.. tonight I'll try to remove the card, and see if it helps.. it worked before though, thats what I hate so much..

---- Owner of the only Dell computer with a AMD chip

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The Aureal is a great card for sound quality. Unfortunately, it's also problematic under certain chipsets and Win2k due to it's underdeveloped drivers.

Cast not thine pearls before the swine

TRENDING THREADS