[SOLVED] Resurrecting an old PC, GPU fan won't spin up until 90C

foober

Honorable
Aug 7, 2013
Not sure if this belongs in the graphics card forum or here...

I just pulled my circa 2013 PC build out of the cupboard to try and set it up for a mate. It's mostly fine after downloading about a petabyte of windows updates, except the graphics card (an XFX Radeon HD 7850 Core Edition according to my email receipts) doesn't seem to want to spin its fan up until it gets to 90C (which it does after a few minutes under load). It then jumps straight to what sounds like 100% until the temp gets down to about 85C, then repeats.

I used DDU to clear out all the 2013 drivers and did a clean install of the latest non-beta AMD.

I tried MSI Afterburner, and the fan profile looks relatively sensible. In manual mode the behaviour is weird though: I tried ramping it up slowly (5% at a time, hitting apply between steps) and nothing happens until 90%. At 90% the fan spins up, and after that I can ramp it down in increments of 5%. If I jump straight from 90% to 80% it stops, but I can do 90%>85%>80%>75%>72% and it will keep running, although it sounds a bit, umm, wobbly below 80%. It never runs at 70% The fan appears to spin freely when I spin it by hand. Is this just a busted fan, or is there something else I should test (eg fan header on the card)?