retailers in atlanta area?

chornung

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2001
I'm in the market for a new 19" CRT and I'd really like to compare some of the candidates before I shell out the $$$. Based on information I've gathered online I've narrowed my choices down to: Samsung 900NF, Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 920, Iiyama Visionmaster Pro 451 or Sony G400. Unfortunately, I live about 80 miles from Atlanta so there are no local computer stores that carry any of these monitors and I don't have time to wander around Atlanta looking for computer stores. I've tried calling a few but the ones I've contacted don't carry anything but Viewsonic/Optiquest or KDS and they are long distance calls so I can't afford to just randomly call every computer store in the Atlanta area. I was hoping that someone could recommend a store or stores that stock at least a couple of the monitors mentioned above. If not, could anyone give their opinion of the Mitsu DP 920? I've seen a lot of posts/reviews for the others but virtually nothing about the DP920.

Thanks,
Chris

Tempus

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2001
Have you tried the airport? Just kidding, but I once had to change planes there, and my god it is like a small city itself!

- I don't write Tom's Hardware Guide, I just preach it"

GoSharks

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
I live in silicon valley, you would think that you could find professional monitors on display at the local shops. This is not the case. The thing I noticed is the typical retail environment has a number of disadvantages. Most retailers will hook many monitors up to one computer and by "splitting" the video signal across many monitors will reduce the image quality. Secondly these monitors are adjusted and unadjusted many times a day by curious users and this can mislead the buyer. Finally, because every monitor off the production line is unique, the unit you take home may not closely resemble the display.

Jim at http://www.monitorsdirect.com

G

If you're still looking for Atlanta retailers, there are a ton of them in Norcross off of Dawson Blvd. or McDonough Dr. For example, Ginstar (www.ginstar.com) or Computer Pro (www.computerpro-atl.com). There's a magazine called ComputerUser that you can pick up at any CompUSA in Atlanta that should have a ton of classifieds. Also, the Sunday Atlanta Journal/Constitution has a Technology section with a bunch of computer retailer classifieds. Good luck!

JC