Retention lock broken

Subhajit_2

Commendable
Jan 3, 2017
I am new to Tom's Hardware.

Today when I tried to pull the retention bracket it got broken, was made of plastic . But my heatsink is still intact over the CPU chip. Do I have to worry about it or do I have to get a new heatsink with working retention bracket or I can keep using this for now?

OSJdC8q.jpg

AgkIjFL.jpg

Thanks in advance ^^

Solution
The heatsink needs to make contact to the cpu in order to transfer the heat away. If your motherboard is orientated vertically, the spinning fan could send the heat sink crashing down on your other components inside. My suggestion is to buy a new heatsink. In the meantime, have your case horizontal, and perhaps weight the heat sink down with a nice brick or large rock :D

Samaratin

Reputable
Apr 1, 2015
The heatsink needs to make contact to the cpu in order to transfer the heat away. If your motherboard is orientated vertically, the spinning fan could send the heat sink crashing down on your other components inside. My suggestion is to buy a new heatsink. In the meantime, have your case horizontal, and perhaps weight the heat sink down with a nice brick or large rock :D

Solution