Question Retrieve data from a USB stick dump

Hardwared

Reputable
Dec 30, 2019
Hello, this my first time here, and today I'd like to request your help on a problem that quite tired me.

I got a 32GB Mediarange USB stick that got damaged months ago -- a stupid accident involving a thrown plushie and my plugged USB, that didn't get heavy damages, but has still disassembled . As stupid as I am, I kept using it like nothing happened, until I got that one time my computer stopped recognizing it. chkdsk /f fixed it, for a moment. Then it stopped working while in use with Ubuntu. This time, nothing fixed it, seen as a RAW device everytime.

However, I still managed to make a dump out of it, a process that took a while (and hopefully wasn't done in vain). The key died after I formated it back to NTFS, the format it had before it got problems, now on the last tests it wasn't even recognized as a device at all.

I bought a new USB device since, and I'd like to know if there could be a way I could get all the readable data out of that dump (there is still readable data, verified that with a hex editor)

I tried to mount this bin dump ; no luck. Someone advised me an online parsing service, but I didn't find any. Out of hope I tried to find how to retrieve the data manually, but there's too much files to do so.

What should I do now ? It's not much a problem if there's no solution since the files I had on this drive were in majority portable apps and copies of projects I planned to work on during my vacations, but I still would like to know what I could do next, if there's something to do, or if I should give up and delete this dump.

TL;DR: Got a faulty USB I managed to dump before it died. What can I do to get back all the valuable data out of this dump ?

Thank you in advance !

Hardwared

Reputable
Dec 30, 2019
If the files actually exist elsewhere, toss it and move on.

If they don't exist elsewhere, why was the only copy on an easily damaged flash drive?

Or champing at the bit until I get back to my apartment in my case.
Anyway, though it's a reflexion full of sense, that was not really my question. I just would like to know if there's something I could do with the dump or it is nothing but the pointless result of a day-long process.

TRENDING THREADS