Charlies1902

Honorable
Aug 18, 2012
I'll try to make it short. (failed)

-Dropped something on laptop. Screen went crazy right after and heard high pitched sound.
-After some analysis, I found out my hard drive was broken.
-Can't boot (gets stuck at logo screen), safe mode doesn't work, repair doesn't work, and can't even reinstall windows on the piece of ***.
-Bought new hard drive and installed windows
-bought SATA & USB connector and hooked up old hard drive through USB port.
-Old broken HDD shows up in My computer, but it doesn't display _mb of _mb is free. Tried rightclicking it and going to properties, nothing pops up.Tried right clicking and formatting, nothing pops up. Tried double left clicking it to see if I can get in the drive which just makes my computer freeze.
- The outside of the HDD has no signs of damage, I hear the thing inside spinning still.
-Tried downloading some software like asofttech, recuva, and PC inspector file recovery. Asofttech doesn't detect the drive. Recuva detects the drive, but freezes when I try to proceed with anything when the broken drive is selected. PC inspector file recovery works before I plug my old broken hard drive in the USB port, but freezes when I plug the hard drive in.
-The only software that I've gotten to work is Icare Data recovery free. But the problem with this is that it says there it's gonna take 24 hours+ (time changes constantly). And the limit is 1024mb retrieval unless I purchase some stuff. That's enough for me to get all the important files, hopefully, but judging from the time remaining, I have little hope that this program will work.

I also saw some people suggest Ubuntu and Photorec. I have no clue how to use Ubuntu or Photorec. The instructions I have found for both have not helped me.

From my descriptions does it seem like the hard drive is done for? The files I have on there is very important, but not important enough for me to spend that much money to recover it from companies.

RalphJoy22

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2012
Hey Charlies1902,

Well first of all Never ever spill drinks on your laptop or your desktop, It happened to me once and it's hell of a ride. So enough with the chit-chat and coming to the point.

Since you are seeing the hard drive but you are not being able to access it or open it. So Here is a list of some of the software's I would recommend to you :

1. Ddrescue
2. Ubuntu Rescue Mix ( I know you have already seen it, but Still listing it.)
3. TestDisk
4. PhotoRec
5. SpinRite
6. HDAT2
7. Recuva
8. Foremost
9. Parted Magic
10. Recover My Files

Use each one of these and see if any of these can help you. Otherwise see if this helps :

Hard drive gets detected but still does not work -

If Windows detects the hard drive but it can’t be accessed, won’t give you the option to format it, or its properties. You probably have dirty contacts on your board. Usually when this happens you do not hear the famous “clicking noise of death” noise, but rather a repetitive “rrrrrr rrrrrr” sound, as if the hard drive is reading the same data over and over, or you do not hear any sound at all. It is important to mention that this behavior does involve the computer detecting the drive but DOES NOT involve the “clicking noise of death”. To solve this problem try the following: Remove the main board from the bottom of the hard drive and clean the bottom contacts. That board that you see underneath the drive is actually sitting on top of un-soldered contacts. Many Hard Drives operate at high temperatures, and this tends to melt the circuit board’s coating. When this happens this coating will spill over these contacts, and since they are not soldered their dirty metal surfaces will no longer touch. To solve this, remove the screws from the board and flip it. You will see a row of contacts usually in more than one location. Rub the surface of the contacts with a pencil eraser, just as if you were erasing something you wrote. This will actually clean those contacts better than any other method. Screw the board back in place and try it. (If your hard drive happens to have pin connectors rather than flat ones, disregard this tip and buy a new board.)

broken-hard-drive-3.jpg

and If this does not help this will be your final resort -

This trick will actually work 60% of the cases, so you do have a good probability of getting your data back. I have to warn you that after freezing your hard drive there is also a good chance that the hard drive won’t work ever again, therefore this procedure should only be attempted as a very last resort.

broken-hard-drive-1.jpg

1 – Place the Hard Drive inside a Zip Lock bag and put it in the freezer for about 2 hours.

2 – After that take it out and connect it to the computer as fast as you can so that it does not have time to warm up. Make sure that you do not remove the hard drive out of the bag and that you open it as little as possible when connecting it to the power and data cables, so that outside air doesn’t come in and create condensation on the drive.

3 - Turn your computer on, look for your data and take it out as fast as you possibly can. Time is key here because you do not know if that drive is going to ever work again. Make sure you do this on a fast computer that does not take to long to boot up, if possible connect the hard drive to an external USB enclosure so that you do not waste time with the computer booting up. Also make sure you know the exact location of your data; is better if you go to straight to the folder rather than using Windows search utility, as searching the drive will heat it up faster due to the amount of work the arm will have to make. Drives usually work for a few minutes and stop working once they heat up. So hurry!!!

4 – If after freezing the hard drive and connecting it to the computer you are still not able to access it and you still hear the noise, hold the drive in your hand and, without taking it out of the bag, tap it with your knuckles on one side to see if this releases the heads, you obviously have to do this while the hard drive is powered on and connected to the computer.

And if this also does not help, Bury your hard drive out in the garden. He has gone to heaven.

dingo07

Distinguished
Charlies1902 - here's the first question you have to ask yourself... Is there data that you MUST HAVE from that drive? If your answer is YES, then I suggest you not even try to recover the data yourself. Reason being, it's quite possible you're diminishing the chances of recovering the data. It would be in your best interest to send the drive out to a professional data recovery service.

And you Certainly Don't want to put the drive in the freezer!!!

RalphJoy22

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2012

I am sorry if I am being wrong or anything, but I have given him the steps after carefully going through what he said. First and foremost step is to try and use the above mentioned softwares to see if it helps him to retrieve his files, if not than the other 2 are just some things for him to try if he is willing to do it. It's just an advice which I gave after going through his problems listed and I can clearly see him mention that he doesn't want to send it over to some professional guys for retrieving the data as he said it's not that very important, he was just asking if there was a better yet simple way to do anything to recover his files without getting any professional help. And as far as the last advice is concerned, His Hard Drive is almost useless since it hangs up, so for him to try and do that is entirely upon him, plus I warned him in the post so I don't see what's the difference. The decision is upon him, I have merely listed him some ways in which he may be able to recover the files, that's all.

dingo07

Distinguished
No, you're wrong about the first step RalphJoy22. The very first step is determine if you Must Have data that is on the drive. The reason for that is because if it's a hardware issue, the longer it's powered on, the less data you can retrieve usually.

RalphJoy22

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2012
Well you're right as well brother, Let's just wait and see what he wants to do since he said there is information in there but it's not that important that he would send it over to some pro guys. I normally would have recommended him to send the Hard Drive because these are things meant to be done by the professionals and not by themselves since he is not so sure about sending it, I just gave him some tips and I totally agree, the current situation his Hard Drive is in. It's better not to try the tips if he has some information which he would want back.