[SOLVED] Retro DosBox project

paulo_andre

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2011
I have a few old netbook pc's that are just there, since they are too slow for anything nowadays, so I thought about turning them into dosbox machines, load them with hundred of old games and use them as gifts for children or elderly.
So, I need a lightweight linux distro, that only needs to runs dosbox, that is as locked down as possible and an easy way to add hundreds of games with a menu to choose them (doesn't need to be a graphical menu).
Any advice on this?

Solution
Lakka is the lightest and still has a nice menu to run dosbox games, there is also the dosbox pure core for retroarch which lakka is using which is supposed to make it easier to use.
Adding games is complicated since most dos games need to be installed and configured before you can use them, so unless you find a pre configured pack it's going to take you ages to add lots of games.
If lakka fails to run or doesn't see all your hardware there is also recalbox (medium heavy) and batocera (full heavy)

Believe it or not but even those will deny running on hardware that is too old.
Lakka is the lightest and still has a nice menu to run dosbox games, there is also the dosbox pure core for retroarch which lakka is using which is supposed to make it easier to use.
Adding games is complicated since most dos games need to be installed and configured before you can use them, so unless you find a pre configured pack it's going to take you ages to add lots of games.
If lakka fails to run or doesn't see all your hardware there is also recalbox (medium heavy) and batocera (full heavy)

Believe it or not but even those will deny running on hardware that is too old.

Reactions: Grobe
Solution