[SOLVED] Retro! IDE master drive was ok., added SATA drive, now master drive not found ?

TechBloke

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2016
Hi all. I have a pc from 2003 with an 80gb drive as the master boot. I've added a cheap sata drive I had lying around as storage using a sata to ide adaptor into the spare 'slave' connector. Plan was to use this as a retro xp gaming build with a cheap gpu. On boot, only the sata is found in bios. Motherboard is msi ms-6577. ide drive is seagate and sata drive is toshiba. Setting the ide drive jumper from cable select (default) to master does not work. tia

Solution
Hey all just an update. I am thinking maybe the mobo is just too old to work with sata.
That's why you use a sata to ide adaptor, it shows up as normal ide drive to the system.
What you need is a ide cable with 80strands for high capacity drives and an adaptor that let's you switch between master and slave.
Do you see the jumper in the upper left corner?! You can see how it says master on one side and slave on the other.
You can also see that it has a male ide adaptor so that it connects to the ports on an ide cable instead of plugging into the motherboard.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/363216850491
s-l500.jpg
Hi all. I have a pc from 2003 with an 80gb drive as the master boot. I've added a cheap sata drive I had lying around as storage using a sata to ide adaptor into the spare 'slave' connector. Plan was to use this as a retro xp gaming build with a cheap gpu. On boot, only the sata is found in bios. Motherboard is msi ms-6577. ide drive is seagate and sata drive is toshiba. Setting the ide drive jumper from cable select (default) to master does not work. tia
did you also try swapping the data cables?

TheJoker2020

Commendable
Oct 13, 2020
Hey guys, thanks for the replies. I have another ide cable connection which connects the dvd rom drive and dvd writer drive (strange to have both). Will try it and get back to you.

Plug the SATA drive into this cable and disconnect both of the optical drives to test with.

Also, IDE cables have 3 connectors, the end that goes into the motherboard is the longer stretch of cable, with the shorter stretch of cable for the 1 or 2 drives, if you are only using one drive, it is recommended to use the end connector.

Good luck.

Jun 18, 2021
I've done something similar. I have the latest Win 10 21H1 on a Seagate 250GB PATA drive, the MB is probably from about 2007. The jumper is set to "master." I did a clean install with only this drive connected, did all the updates, installed all of my programs and data, and then connected a 80GB SATA drive for additional storage. Of course, if I used an SSD for the boot drive, it would boot faster, but once Win 10 loads, it's not really that slow in use. I have a quantity of PATA drives that I'm trying to get some use out of before the magnets get scrounged out of them

TechBloke

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2016
Hey all just an update. I am thinking maybe the mobo is just too old to work with sata. Tried a couple of drives without success. I've bought a 40gb ide drive to act as slave drive storage. Thanks again for the advice.

Hey all just an update. I am thinking maybe the mobo is just too old to work with sata.
That's why you use a sata to ide adaptor, it shows up as normal ide drive to the system.
What you need is a ide cable with 80strands for high capacity drives and an adaptor that let's you switch between master and slave.
Do you see the jumper in the upper left corner?! You can see how it says master on one side and slave on the other.
You can also see that it has a male ide adaptor so that it connects to the ports on an ide cable instead of plugging into the motherboard.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/363216850491
s-l500.jpg

Solution