Question Retro Windows 98 Build

Aug 15, 2019
I have a Retro Windows 98 build and it has a 200 Watt power supply, but I would like to put a Geforce 6800 GT in this Retro Gaming Rig, and so I will need to upgrade the power supply to something with more power, my question would be this:

Can I use a new power supply with an old Windows 98 PC, or would I need to find a period correct power supply?

How have power supplies changed since the year 2000?

Thank you to whoever can help me!

- David

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
The ATX standard has really only improved, no features have been been actively removed. Though there has been a gentle move to higher 12V output and reduced 5V and 3.3V output, so you might want to find a supply that has decent output on those rails. We would call these power supplies to avoid, they'll often have a total wattage that includes 3.3V and 5V, whereas reputable supplies will only use the total 12V rails for the output rating

So the primary connector went from 20-pins to 24-pins. And "P4" supplementary 12V lines for the CPU were added (These days it is called EPS, since more than Pentium 4s require it) So as long as the supply you buy has the extra 4-pins capable of being separated you should be fine.

PCIe and SATA power connectors weren't a thing back then. You will have to make sure that whatever power supply you buy has enough 4-pin 'molex' connectors for the various drives and things.

Now if this system is old enough to require AT, then yes, you will need an AT compatible power supply.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Just power delivery, and the standard hasn't really changed. New ATX power supplies might have too much of the modern connectors, which is the only real concern with retro computers. Just make sure what you pick has decent 5V and 3.3V rails. Old hard drives, floppy drives, sound cards, video cards, etc use a lot more 5V and 3.3V then newer hardware.

Something like a Corsair RM550X would be a decent choice. It offers 25A on the 5V and 3.3V rails. Or even the VS450 with 20A, Seasonic S12II or S12III 500W/520W should also be okay.

As usual you want to avoid the no-name brands, basically anything under $45 or so.

Aug 15, 2019
Just power delivery, and the standard hasn't really changed. New ATX power supplies might have too much of the modern connectors, which is the only real concern with retro computers. Just make sure what you pick has decent 5V and 3.3V rails. Old hard drives, floppy drives, sound cards, video cards, etc use a lot more 5V and 3.3V then newer hardware.

Something like a Corsair RM550X would be a decent choice. It offers 25A on the 5V and 3.3V rails. Or even the VS450 with 20A, Seasonic S12II or S12III 500W/520W should also be okay.

As usual you want to avoid the no-name brands, basically anything under $45 or so.

Thank you, I will look into those power supplies...I was thinking of getting the same one that guy used in that video I posted, the EVGA 450 BT, do you think this would be a good choice?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
cool, thanks for the suggestions, but do you think the EVGA 450 BT PSU has the proper things you were mentioning with the 25A on the 5V and 3.3V rails?

You can look these things up, not too difficult (Except Corsair, 80% of the time I have to get the specs from other sites, sometimes the manual has it, sometimes not, but their website always leaves it out, no idea why)

https://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=100-BT-0450-K1