[SOLVED] Retro XP Gaming Machine, windows XP install help

tunghaichuan

Reputable
May 13, 2019
I'm looking to build a retro Windows XP gaming machine using WinXP 32 bit.

I have an old ASUS A55BM-E motherboard paired with an AMD Athlon X4 860k, 4GB gskil memory (2x2GB). I've got a basic Radeon 8490 video card installed until I can get a better power supply. I intend to use an old Nvidia GTS 250.

The ASUS is updated to the latest BIOS, which is UEFI.

When I try to install Windows XP from an install CD, the drivers are loaded, but Windows crashes. Other motherboards I've used have had a legacy IDE or AHCI. My ASUS motherboard has CSM installed.

The support page for the A55BM-E has XP drivers, including a SATA driver.

What's the best way to proceed with an WinXP 32 bit install?

thanks

Solution

Press F3 when it prompts you to, right before the hard drive selection comes up, have the drivers uncompressed on a floppy and load them from there.

Otherwise, if you don't have any floppies, get ntlite and slipstream all the XP drivers you can find for your hardware into a new cd and install from that.

Press F3 when it prompts you to, right before the hard drive selection comes up, have the drivers uncompressed on a floppy and load them from there.

Otherwise, if you don't have any floppies, get ntlite and slipstream all the XP drivers you can find for your hardware into a new cd and install from that.

Reactions: tunghaichuan
Solution

tunghaichuan

Reputable
May 13, 2019

Thanks for the reply, I figured I'd have to slipstream the SATA drivers into the XP install disk. Thanks for confirming.