Return the MSI GTX 970s for EVGA GTX 970 FTW (when it comes out)?

Guinibee

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2010
What does everyone think? Some reviews are out for the EVGA GTX 970 FTW and it seems they have fixed the thermal issue as it uses an aluminum base plate instead of heat pipes and the plate touches all of the GPU die. Anandtech has a nice review:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8568/the-geforce-gtx-970-review-feat-evga/2

Anyway I have 2 MSI GTX 970s right now in SLI and it's def nice. They're very fast and run pretty quiet and cool. The only real issue is that they don't have a backplate...which I dislike, but it's not a big deal.

I have always had EVGA ever since I started building 10 years ago. They're customer service is really nice. I heard MSI has pretty good customer service as well, but not as good as EVGA. My question is will it be worth it for me to get the EVGA FTW cards when they release or just hold onto my MSI cards? I can return them to newegg with no restocking fees due to newegg premier membership...so provided the FTW comes out within the month I can do this...if I should do this.

Guinibee

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2010
well there's not much of a performance difference at all...actually I think the MSI ones OC higher due to more power input (1 6 pin and 1 8 pin power vs 2 6 pin power on FTW)...

I just really trust EVGA...but thus far MSI hasn't disappointed me...idk I just figured I'd see what the community thinks

Guinibee

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2010
I thought it was coil whine but it went away... It really wasn't coil whine... It was a very quiet ticking noise that only occurs during Firestrike test.. During gaming it's fine

Dracula872100

Reputable
Sep 29, 2014
I think both are great and I am going to get 2 way SLI myself and I am thinking of EVGA FTW and MSI 4g Gaming since in my opinion they are the best companies out there
EVGA better customer support (best out there) MSI got a good one as well but not as good but there cards do OC better but as far as cooling it seems they are neck a neck
So it depends on what you want
Both are slim and small and with great companies
So whatever you choose you won't lose
It's all about what you think is better for you
Hope that helped

Guinibee

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2010
I like your take dracula... I have a second round of msi cards right now... They still have the buzz noise that many others have... But quieter than the first set. I actually have an order of a pair of gigabyte cards on the way... I'm going to see if they fit and if they have a buzzing noise. I tested my gtx 670 and actually noticed that had a buzz during benchmarks as well... So I'm thinking it's always common but I didn't notice it until the msi cards because they're so quiet

frag06

Honorable
Mar 17, 2013

The MSI Gaming will be quieter than EVGA's card. I would keep them if only just for that, but the Gigabyte G1 is nice as well. I would go with one of them, not an EVGA FTW.

I have the MSI Gaming. I had an EVGA 970 but I returned it because of so many issues, one of them being that the fan was very loud.

Guinibee

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2010

Yeah I'm going to give the Gigabyte's a shot tomorrow...but I have been impressed with the MSI ones thus far...good OC and speeds and quiet...just the buzzing noise can get annoying and the Gigabyte cards seem to cool the VRM better so I'm gonna see how well those fit in my case. If the Giga cards take up too much space I'm going to stick with MSI.

frag06

Honorable
Mar 17, 2013

Try running a heavy load application for a few hours. It is a good way to get rid of coil whine.

Guinibee

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2010

I will give this a shot...thx for the tip!