Returning PC to Best Buy, anything I should delete beforehand?

CRT dude

Honorable
Jun 2, 2013
I bought a slimline HP from Best Buy a few days ago, but the PC is slow & I find out I can't even add any good graphics cards or power supply to the case.

I'm returning it, but should I reformat it before doing so?
The only thing I added to the PC in the past few days was a Firefox browser, which I used.

I don't want this to be sold open box & have something recovery my history & maybe steal my information.
Will deleting/uninstalling Firefox be enough or should I do more?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
If you want to secure wipe the HDD, run http://www.dban.org/
But be sure BB doesn't require you to restore the drive to factory condition with the restore partition first. They may not accept it if its HDD is blank... no OS on it.

Create recovery DVDs, them use a tool to wipe out the Windows partition (wipe out - overwrite it), then use recovery media to restore Windows. If you 're lucky (and read the documentation), there might be a way to invoke "restore" by pressing a secret key during boot.

CRT dude

Honorable
Jun 2, 2013

Secret key???
Well I just uninstalled Firefox & deleted 2-3 files I downloaded when I had the PC & returned it.

Thing is, when I first booted it up, it asked me for my Outlook email & forced me to sign in.
Now every time that the PC boots up, it asks for my Outlook password to proceed to Windows 8.

I didn't know how to disable it or reset it, so I left it as is when I returned the PC,
Will this be a problem? Will they try to hack my password to try & log in to that computer?

Anyone know if Best Buy reformats/re-installs returned PCs before re-selling them again?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

(another reason I will stick with Win7 for awhile longer)

May be best to choose another password. And unless you have a specific need for Win8, you may want to use Win7 for your next OS.