Returning to pc gaming. Opinion on rig for 2015

u8mypizza2

Reputable
Jul 4, 2015
Hello. I've recently decided to fix my old gaming computer with a few upgrades at the repair shop. I should be receiving it in the next couple of days or so. I'm just a tad concerned if the components stack up to today's standards of games.

My gaming rig:
CPU: Intel 3570k
CPU COOLER: CORSAIR H60
RAM: 16gb 1600mhz (2X8gb)
Mobo: Asus p8z77-vlk
GPU: MSI GTX 660 TI 2GB PE SLI
PSU: 850 watt
Storage: 120gb ssd, 1 tb 10000 rpm
Windows 7 home premium 64 bit

Will the rig bottleneck? Or is the processor more than capable of handling both video cards?

I also like to play on high settings with a smooth framerate around 60 fps.

So what do yall think? Is there anything I should change or is it fine as is?

I have not been in the pc world in about 2 years, so I have not kept up with what's been going on

Solution
Only the SLI part is a possible issue, but Nvidia are pretty good at ensuring new games are given SLI profiles so there should be no real issues there.
The rest of the system is actually very good, nice, strong CPU and plenty of fast RAM all backed up by a fast storage system.

Be aware, most current games are very demanding of the graphics memory, if you're suffering glitches or slowdowns, trimming the settings will be a massive help: Turning Anti Aliasing down or off will have the biggest positive impact on the frame rate while lowering advanced lighting effects like Ambient Occlusion, soft shadows or god rays (sun rays) will help to a greater or lesser degree depending on scene.
Vegetation is another place to swing the axe...

Rhezner

Admirable
the components wont bottleneck and are pretty powerful. The 660ti is a bit old but 2 of them will be a bit more powerful than a gtx 970.
the r9 290x would be a better option than 2 660ti's but you already have this rig so don't change it, it is good.

The only issue I can see is the 660's. GPU power isn't going to be the limiting factor in today's games, its the limited VRAM. Running most of the newer releases with high settings (even at 1080p) usually requires more than 2GB of VRAM.

Picking a 960 with 4GB of VRAM isn't the answer either. nVidia had the correct balance on this GPU. Adding more VRAM doesn't help with this card when playing higher settings. The GPU isn't fast enough to render frames at higher detail settings, therefore the VRAM isn't the limiting factor.

My suggestion would be to shoot for something like a 970 GTX. Even with the 3.5GB + 500MB configuration, it's got the rendering chops and VRAM to play most games at high detail settings at 60 fps @ 1080p. The AMD option would be a 290X which is as powerful as a 970 GTX, just with higher power usage and temperatures.

Only the SLI part is a possible issue, but Nvidia are pretty good at ensuring new games are given SLI profiles so there should be no real issues there.
The rest of the system is actually very good, nice, strong CPU and plenty of fast RAM all backed up by a fast storage system.

Be aware, most current games are very demanding of the graphics memory, if you're suffering glitches or slowdowns, trimming the settings will be a massive help: Turning Anti Aliasing down or off will have the biggest positive impact on the frame rate while lowering advanced lighting effects like Ambient Occlusion, soft shadows or god rays (sun rays) will help to a greater or lesser degree depending on scene.
Vegetation is another place to swing the axe, lowering the vegetation detail will yield another improvement in frame rate while turning advanced hair/fur simulations will also be a help.
If you're playing FPS/RPG type games you'll probably run into momentary glitches during big explosions or casting big spells, you may be able to turn down the particle effects to reduce this but TBH we all get this so you may just have to live with it.

Solution