[SOLVED] Reuse or new PS? Corsair HX (2014) PW

Jan 28, 2021
Need some input.

My older PC is a Q1 2014 build. As part of this, I purchased a Corsair HX series 850W ATX12v 2.3 / EPS 12v 2.91 Gold power supply. This thing has been rock solid and no issues, but its time to upgrade. PC is a I7 4th gen and was reaching its end of the service window.

While I don't have an issue purchasing a newer supply, would this older one work on a New I9 setup, or has something changed? From what I read, there are minor changes, but the power and amps needed on my new build would work on the current supply. The newer power supply I am looking at is the Corsair HX series 750w ATX12v 2.4 / EPS 12v 2.92 Platinum PS.

Anyone rebuild a good gaming pc using an older PS in recent months?

Solution
Need some input.

My older PC is a Q1 2014 build. As part of this, I purchased a Corsair HX series 850W ATX12v 2.3 / EPS 12v 2.91 Gold power supply. This thing has been rock solid and no issues, but its time to upgrade. PC is a I7 4th gen and was reaching its end of the service window.

While I don't have an issue purchasing a newer supply, would this older one work on a New I9 setup, or has something changed? From what I read, there are minor changes, but the power and amps needed on my new build would work on the current supply. The newer power supply I am looking at is the Corsair HX series 750w ATX12v 2.4 / EPS 12v 2.92 Platinum PS.

It would help if you...
Need some input.

It would help if you listed all the parts for your new build. Anyways, it was a very good PSU in its day and came with a 7 year warranty. If you bought it in 2014 the warranty ends this year so consider that when contemplating reusing it. Power supplies have perishable components that do not age well, electrolytic capacitors being one example, even though high end caps were used in this models' production.

Though you could reuse it for a while, it's probably close enough to EOL (end-of-life) that it may be better to retire it. Consider the cost of your new components and weigh that against the risk of using an old power supply. If it does fail, will the protective circuitry still do its job and protect the rest of the system? Tough to answer. I take a more conservative approach with power supplies and would replace it myself. Is another $150 really going to kill your budget?

Solution