[SOLVED] Reuse this PSU?

Nov 22, 2019
Hello. Can I reuse this PSU in a new build or is it too old?

750 Watts - EVGA SuperNOVA NEX750B 80 Plus Bronze Modular circa 2013

My current build (8700k/RTX2060 Super) is coming in at an estimated 374W so there is plenty of power. Normally, I would be conservative and get a new one but I wanted to ask in the spirit of reusing.

Solution
If you value your hardware and wish to have as much of a trouble free computing experience as possible, then replace it. Those NEX units were not terrific to start with, and being 6 years old already, it is likely at least a year past it's original five year warranty.

"Watts" are not what is in question with these older units. Safety, and being fit for the usage, are. Capacitors break down so you can experience problems with power delivery or random problems as well as the filtering not being as good as it originally was which can mean anything from minutely to moderately higher levels of ripple and noise, which is bad for the capacitors on the REST of your hardware like the motherboard and graphics card. Considering you can get a...
If you value your hardware and wish to have as much of a trouble free computing experience as possible, then replace it. Those NEX units were not terrific to start with, and being 6 years old already, it is likely at least a year past it's original five year warranty.

"Watts" are not what is in question with these older units. Safety, and being fit for the usage, are. Capacitors break down so you can experience problems with power delivery or random problems as well as the filtering not being as good as it originally was which can mean anything from minutely to moderately higher levels of ripple and noise, which is bad for the capacitors on the REST of your hardware like the motherboard and graphics card. Considering you can get a very good power supply in the 650w range with a 10 year warranty, in most cases, for less than or around a hundred bucks, more like something in the 75 dollar range with rebates included, it's just not worth the risk to your system and that's without factoring in anything over the top like age related shorts or other internal catastrophic failures which do sometimes happen.

Solution
Nov 22, 2019

"Watts" are not what is in question with these older units. Safety, and being fit for the usage, are. Capacitors break down so you can experience problems with power delivery or random problems as well as the filtering not being as good as it originally was which can mean anything from minutely to moderately higher levels of ripple and noise, which is bad for the capacitors on the REST of your hardware like the motherboard and graphics card. Considering you can get a very good power supply in the 650w range with a 10 year warranty, in most cases, for less than or around a hundred bucks, more like something in the 75 dollar range with rebates included, it's just not worth the risk to your system and that's without factoring in anything over the top like age related shorts or other internal catastrophic failures which do sometimes happen.
Thank you Darkbreeze, that is the insight I needed. A few PSU it is. And I don't feel guilty. Thanks

TRENDING THREADS