Reused CPU from water damaged computer

nsomera16

Prominent
Aug 19, 2017
I just rebuilt my PC -- I spilled water into my recent build while powered on (Feb 2018), killing my PSU and GPU. It didn't kill my motherboard as I was still able to boot up to Windows, however I bought a replacement board because for some reason AFTER the spillage. I could only boot with a card that doesn't use external power. First couple boots were pretty slow as expected, then became significantly faster afterwards.

So far I updated my BIOS and unlocked my CPU in config. I will update my cpu and gpu drivers when I get the chance to.

The Issue
CPU usage is low and normal, once I start launching Overwatch CPU usage increases, at the login screen my CPU will already be around ~90%. Once I get to the menu screen I'm at a constant 99-100% getting a good 2fps. Also to note, my disk usage was extremely high when launching also, but I'm guessing it was because I had to re download the game again, I thought it would've just patched because the game WAS installed before the spill. I know this isn't an accurate test but I didn't have time to test other games or any other troubleshooting yet.

Questions
What I want to know is if my CPU could've been damaged from my computer shorting on me? The way my old PC was built in the case should've avoided the water damage. What else should I do before I consider buying a new CPU?

Specs:
i5 6500 3.2ghz
Gigabyte gtx 1060
Gigabyte ga-h170-d3hp
8gb DDR4

I reused my CPU, Ram and HDD. New Mobo is the same as old Mobo. Gtx 1060 is new. New case also.

Solution
Intel is the integrated CPU graphics. It was probably displaying the total ram available to the system as vram. The GPU isn't being used if the drivers are not installed. You are basically just pushing the CPU graphics through the GPU's display ports.
The whole scenario points to that being the cause. Your cpu is running fullthrottle because it is trying to process game mechanics and do the graphics. The drive was running hard most likely because the integrated graphics can also benefit from virtual memory (Free hard drive space) to store information to be used soon. Not as fast as real Ram, but better than nothing.

The real clue is that your GPU is not showing in the device manager. Fix that, and you fix your problem.

Jesse_20

Distinguished
The fact that it still boots with that cpu leans to the fact that it's probably ok. I would start by re-installing all motherboard and GPU drivers, removing the old ones first in device manager. Also make sure that you aren't running off the cpu onboard graphics instead of the GPU. That would easily explain the low framerates. If the drive were bad, you would be getting read/write errors. Bad memory would show up as unexplained crashes/restarts. Bad CPU would result in a beeping motherboard that would not boot.

nsomera16

Prominent
Aug 19, 2017

Ahh, I didn't even think to uninstall old drivers. I guess that would explain why my 1060 didn't show up in device manager. I don't think its running off the integrated gfx, I do have it plugged into the card. But I did notice when searching the display settings. It did register the 8GB VRAM, but manufacturer showed up as Intel rather than Nvidia/Gigabyte. I have a 6GB 1060, any explanation for why it showed as 8GB?

Jesse_20

Distinguished
Intel is the integrated CPU graphics. It was probably displaying the total ram available to the system as vram. The GPU isn't being used if the drivers are not installed. You are basically just pushing the CPU graphics through the GPU's display ports.
The whole scenario points to that being the cause. Your cpu is running fullthrottle because it is trying to process game mechanics and do the graphics. The drive was running hard most likely because the integrated graphics can also benefit from virtual memory (Free hard drive space) to store information to be used soon. Not as fast as real Ram, but better than nothing.

The real clue is that your GPU is not showing in the device manager. Fix that, and you fix your problem.

Solution

nsomera16

Prominent
Aug 19, 2017

Just got home and did a clean install for GPU drivers which did the trick. Thank you!