Reused DV tape showed slightly worse footage

For the first time, I reused a SONY 60-min MiniDV tape. It was a
sunny Spring day and the weather couldn't be better and we were
at a park. But later when Premiere captured the whole footage
from the tape, it showed a layer of whiteness to it. Different
from objects' sharp edges that I had with this tape and this SONY
PC101, this time the edges were fuzzy. Do any of you have this
experience with reused MiniDV tapes?

"cindy" <cindy@callme.com> wrote in message
> For the first time, I reused a SONY 60-min MiniDV tape. It was a
> sunny Spring day and the weather couldn't be better and we were
> at a park. But later when Premiere captured the whole footage
> from the tape, it showed a layer of whiteness to it. Different
> from objects' sharp edges that I had with this tape and this SONY
> PC101, this time the edges were fuzzy. Do any of you have this
> experience with reused MiniDV tapes?

No. I reuse MiniDV tapes all the time and I haven't noticed any degradation
in video quality. I have a feeling what you're seeing here is something
else.

"cindy" wrote ...
> For the first time, I reused a SONY 60-min MiniDV tape. It was a
> sunny Spring day and the weather couldn't be better and we were
> at a park. But later when Premiere captured the whole footage
> from the tape, it showed a layer of whiteness to it. Different
> from objects' sharp edges that I had with this tape and this SONY
> PC101, this time the edges were fuzzy. Do any of you have this
> experience with reused MiniDV tapes?

That is NOT the kind of artifact you see from problems with
digital recording. Artifacts like "pixelization" or "blockieness"
are the mot common symptoms of faulty digital video recording.

Your symptom sounds more like light leaking into the camera.
Were you using a lens hood?

Rich

"cindy" <cindy@callme.com> wrote in message
> For the first time, I reused a SONY 60-min MiniDV tape. It was a
> sunny Spring day and the weather couldn't be better and we were
> at a park. But later when Premiere captured the whole footage
> from the tape, it showed a layer of whiteness to it. Different
> from objects' sharp edges that I had with this tape and this SONY
> PC101, this time the edges were fuzzy. Do any of you have this
> experience with reused MiniDV tapes?

No.

I normally reuse tapes once. The original shooting and eventually archive
the final .AVI back to tape. I do have a few tapes I have reused for test,
experiments, titles, things to work on in the future, emergencies, etc and
have never had any problems.

Rich