Reusing a prebuilt's HDD in a new build

AesisVanex

Honorable
Jan 22, 2014
I currently have a prebuilt that's got Window 8 preloaded onto it, it's tied to the motherboard so it's not going to be possible to just plug it into my new build and go straight ahead.
My question is, if I completely reformat the drive and remove everything on it, will it function as if it were a brand new HDD? Or is there anything on it that the manufacturer may have left that would prevent me using it again?

jock1092

Honorable
Jan 17, 2013
i have used hdd from prebuilts in the past and had no issues.
also just because your windows 8 is tied to the mobo doesnt really mean it cant be used with the new one, you can always attempt calling microsoft and saying something like your motherboard died and you replaced it, they will usually give you a "phone activation code" which is 7-8n blocks of six numbers to set it to the new motherboard, i have done this with quite a few OEM systems

to do this replace the mobo and drivers, windows will say it needs activated, when the online activation fails it will give you a number to call, its automated until you make a mistake ( or fully automated if you dont ) and takes about 10 min to do

AesisVanex

Honorable
Jan 22, 2014

If that works, you'd be saving SO, SO, SO much money and to be quite honest I'd want to hug you. My build was perfect until I realised I needed to get an OS also. Could you tell me exactly what you said to them, because it'd be a great help!