Question Reusing a SSD in new build

Apr 8, 2019
I am currently building a new rig and am trying to reuse a SATA ssd which has on it the windows OS from my old system.

The catch is the SSD has an OEM version of Windows (last PC was just a generic shop bought computer). I presume I will need to somehow remove the OS from the SSD before reloading with a copy of Windows Home (or similar). I am keen to retain data that is on the SSD.

Would appreciate any advice you might have for removing the old OS and then setting up a new version of Windows whilst retaining data on the drive.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Download a new copy of windows.iso, use the windows media tool to create a bootable USB flash drive. Get new ssd and plug it into the new build as the only drive. Install windows from the USB drive. Then plug in the old ssd and transfer/copy data over. You'll not be able to reuse the old windows, it's tied to the old system, and any old software will need to be reinstalled on the new drive. But documents, media and other non-program data is movable.

Reactions: Novice2019
Apr 8, 2019
Download a new copy of windows.iso, use the windows media tool to create a bootable USB flash drive. Get new ssd and plug it into the new build as the only drive. Install windows from the USB drive. Then plug in the old ssd and transfer/copy data over. You'll not be able to reuse the old windows, it's tied to the old system, and any old software will need to be reinstalled on the new drive. But documents, media and other non-program data is movable.
Thank you!