[SOLVED] Reusing an 3 old power supply?

JackoKov

Reputable
Nov 9, 2016
Hello Everyone I just have a quick questions about reusing an old power supply the model is a EVGA 500W 80 Plus Bronze Power Supply, I purchased this power supply in February 2015 and used it up until September 2018 and have left it in the box ever since however now my brother is considering buying a budget build pc and I had the idea to reuse this PSU as it seems to be in pristine quality on the outside and the inside is partly dusty which can be cleaned I read online that EVGA PSU can last from 5-10 years. The 500w is the perfect amount for the PC he is considering getting and even gives him room if he was to upgrade in the future.

I've checked online and EVGA have said that there psu's have safety protection to keep components safe like: Over Power Protection, Over Voltage Protection, Under Voltage Protection, Short Circuit Protection, Over Current Protection, Over Temperature Protection etc. so I think it should be alright.

For the exact model this is the link of the amazon page I bought it from in 2015: https://www.amazon.co.uk/EVGA-100-B1-0500-KR-Bronze-Power-Supply/dp/B00DZ6R9GE

Solution
Hello Everyone I just have a quick questions about reusing an old power supply the model is a EVGA 500W 80 Plus Bronze Power Supply, I purchased this power supply in February 2015 and used it up until September 2018 and have left it in the box ever since however now my brother is considering buying a budget build pc and I had the idea to reuse this PSU as it seems to be in pristine quality on the outside and the inside is partly dusty which can be cleaned I read online that EVGA PSU can last from 5-10 years. The 500w is the perfect amount for the PC he is considering getting and even gives him room if he was to upgrade in the future.

I've checked online and EVGA have said that there psu's have safety protection to keep components...

I've checked online and EVGA have said that there psu's have safety protection to keep components safe like: Over Power Protection, Over Voltage Protection, Under Voltage Protection, Short Circuit Protection, Over Current Protection, Over Temperature Protection etc. so I think it should be alright.

For the exact model this is the link of the amazon page I bought it from in 2015: https://www.amazon.co.uk/EVGA-100-B1-0500-KR-Bronze-Power-Supply/dp/B00DZ6R9GE
It's a cheap low quality model to begin with and now it has no warranty, which was 3 years when new. As long as the build you are putting it in doesn't have much value it may be ok for a while. Power supplies age in storage also so keep that in mind. They age even faster if they're stored in a hot environment.

Reactions: King_V
Solution