Reusing laptop drive with windows pre-installed

Adam3222

Honorable
Feb 7, 2014
I had a hp pavillion laptop which eventually broke, so i took it apart and managed to get a 500 gb WD Scorpio drive out of it. I plugged it in to my M5A97, and booted the windows 7 on it. When it loaded, it was unbearably slow, along with it not being able to connect to the internet, and the resolution was messed up and wouldnt let me change most likely because the lack of drivers for my 770. Is there any way to either wipe the drive except windows, or solve these problems individally.

Solution

Technically, yes, you need a new copy. That Windows license is tied to that original motherboard.

Having said that....MS is quite often very lenient with hardware failures and license reactivation. You'd have to call and either go through the phone robot, or talk to a human.
They are under no obligation to do this, though.

USAFRet

Titan
For multiple reasons, no.

1. The whole driver situation between what used to be on the laptop and wherever it is now is completely different
2. The OS existing on the laptop drive is OEM, and tied to that laptop motherboard.
3. At the very least, that drive needs a fresh resinstall.
4. And a new Windows license - See #2

USAFRet

Titan

Technically, yes, you need a new copy. That Windows license is tied to that original motherboard.

Having said that....MS is quite often very lenient with hardware failures and license reactivation. You'd have to call and either go through the phone robot, or talk to a human.
They are under no obligation to do this, though.

Solution