reusing old laptop CPU

xmx115

Prominent
Aug 31, 2017
hi guys
so i have an old broken laptop witch had an i7-2630QM, and i was wondering if i can put the CPU in a new laptop.
and i was looking for a laptop with the same socket witch is FCPGA-988 ( I think ).
so the question is how can i find a laptop that is compatible with the CPU?
thanks in advance.

Solution
Which is your old laptop? Only few of the CPU's use the FCPGA-988 socket which your CPU is supporting and i don't think its a good idea to replace your laptop CPU.

Peace.

VJ_Gamer

Commendable
Aug 8, 2017
If you are going to buy a laptop just for the CPU swap, then you would be wasting your money. Laptop you buy will be carrying a CPU and swapping that with the old one will put the new one into waste.

Peace.

Usually cooling is an issue for the lesser Sandy/Ivy Bridge laptops. The QM chips have a 45W TDP; the typical Pentium/i3/i5s of that generation are 35W.

You can probably get away with it if you can find one with a relatively beefy cooling solution. I took an Acer Aspire 5749Z from a Pentium to an i7-2670QM and it's awesome now. Best part was that both the laptop and CPU were essentially no cost to me.

MOST CPUs from the SB era were socketed rather than soldered; Ivy Bridge was less, but still common. Almost everything became soldered after that.