[SOLVED] Reusing SSD and HDD for new pc

Dec 28, 2019
I recently purchased a new motherboard, gpu, and cpu. I’ve never built a pc before so I’m wondering if I can reuse my SSD (with windows 10) and HDD? Will windows 10 be already installed and will all of my programs/files be able to run once I connect the storage drives to the new motherboard?

Solution
The physical drives, sure.
The OS on them? Not so much.

As always, 3 possibilities:
  1. It boots up just fine
  2. It fails completely.
  3. It boots up, but you're chasing issues for weeks/months.
I've seen all 3.

Coming from a prebuilt of unknown origin, I'd lean to #2 being the most likely.
In addition, the license for that Windows OS is unlikely to be transferable.

USAFRet

Titan
The physical drives, sure.
The OS on them? Not so much.

As always, 3 possibilities:
  1. It boots up just fine
  2. It fails completely.
  3. It boots up, but you're chasing issues for weeks/months.
I've seen all 3.

Coming from a prebuilt of unknown origin, I'd lean to #2 being the most likely.
In addition, the license for that Windows OS is unlikely to be transferable.

Reactions: Cowabungis
Solution
Dec 28, 2019
Just for some clarification, I had my friend build the pc for me so my current pc is not prebuilt. Does that change any of the possible outcomes or are they the same as the ones you listed? Also, is there a way to wipe the OS on the drive, but keep everything else or will this cause problems when booting the system up for the first time?

USAFRet

Titan
Just for some clarification, I had my friend build the pc for me so my current pc is not prebuilt. Does that change any of the possible outcomes or are they the same as the ones you listed? Also, is there a way to wipe the OS on the drive, but keep everything else or will this cause problems when booting the system up for the first time?
Same possible outcomes.
The only change might be the possible transference of the OS license to different hardware. Possibly.

And no, you can't wipe/remove 'just the OS'.