Reusing the CPU from a dead laptop, and some other questions

Yaqzan

Reputable
Jul 17, 2015
So a few weeks back, my (very expensive) laptop died via motherboard failure and I decided to build my own desktop PC. I did some research into this but I had a few questions I was hoping you guys might be able to answer.

1) My dead laptop had a i7 4700MQ CPU, which is fairly expensive. Can I reuse this processor for my new desktop? The CPU is removable from the motherboard. Will it only work for certain motherboards?

2) Assuming I can use the old processor in my new computer, what can I do, other than to apply thermal paste, to keep it's temperature down? When I was using my laptop, the CPU temps on full load reached 90 celcius, even with new thermal paste. I read that Intel processors can take up to 100 degrees, but this time around I want to keep my system as cool as possible.

3) Can I also reuse my laptop's harddrive? Currently, I have my old laptop's harddrive docked into a HDD dock hooked up via usb to another computer in order to access files. But one time, when I booted up that computer, it booted up from the plugged in harddrive, and showed the welcome screen from my dead laptop. So I was wondering if simply plugging it into a desktop system would be that simple as well.

4) Is there anything else I may be able to salvage from my old laptop for my new desktop? I know the RAM sticks are incompatible, and I may be able to use the screen as a second monitor, maybe.

Sorry for the long entry, but any help would be greatly appreciated!

Solution
You are probably better off looking for a replacement motherboard.

While your processor seems to have the FCPGA946, which is a mini-pin-grid array, I do not know (and no Google search turns up) anything other than mobile (laptop) motherbaords, and even then, not easily, since most laptop motherbaords are bespoke and only specific to that model.

Additionally, you won't find a cooling solution for it outside the manufacturer's cooling solution, or a bespoke solution if you are technically inclined and have a workshop and skills.

Hard drives are easily reusable.

Memory - again, it is specific to laptops and the pins on it are different from desktop motherboards.

The same goes for the monitor. You'd have to engineer a solution...
You are probably better off looking for a replacement motherboard.

While your processor seems to have the FCPGA946, which is a mini-pin-grid array, I do not know (and no Google search turns up) anything other than mobile (laptop) motherbaords, and even then, not easily, since most laptop motherbaords are bespoke and only specific to that model.

Additionally, you won't find a cooling solution for it outside the manufacturer's cooling solution, or a bespoke solution if you are technically inclined and have a workshop and skills.

Hard drives are easily reusable.

Memory - again, it is specific to laptops and the pins on it are different from desktop motherboards.

The same goes for the monitor. You'd have to engineer a solution to carry the video signal to it.

Best advice would be to either replace the motherboard, or try to sell the working components.

Solution
1) I don't think so. The cpu would be made for certain laptops with certain motherboards which are designed for laptops not desktops.

2) To keep the temps down, make sure that the desktop is well ventilated with a good case and fans. You could look into liquid cooling as that is better than air cooling with fans. Also make sure that the fans are good and placed well.

3) I don't really know the answer to this one as I have never replaced a hdd before

4) Same as 3.

Yaqzan

Reputable
Jul 17, 2015

Thanks for the answer, and sorry for replying so late. Any idea where I can sell the parts, other than ebay?