Reusing Windows 7 disc w/ a different key

dproberts

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2009
Three (hopefully easy) questions:

1) The motherboard on my wife's five year old computer died. She was running Windows 7 Home Premium from an OEM DVD. When we rebuilt the computer (reusing only the case, new motherboard and everything else), she just entered the old Windows 7 Product Key - from what I understand, she is supposed to eventually get an error message. However, it has been 24 hours now, and there have been no error messages - is it possible that it actually took the key, or will we definitely get an error message at some point over the next few days?

2) We're hoping Microsoft will allow us to reuse the product key for her PC - if we get the error message and have to call them, we'll tell them about the mobo getting fried & not being able to replace it since that model is no longer available, & hopefully they'll let us reuse the key. If that doesn't fly, we'll just buy her another Windows 7 OEM disk - can we just use the product key from that disk, or will she have to reinstall windows using the new disk? She's afraid to download too many other programs until this is resolved in case she has to wipe the hard drive again.

3) Meanwhile, I'm building a new PC but definitely buying a new copy of Windows 7 Home Premium OEM for my new build. However, due to a shipping problem, my Windows disk won't arrive for another week. I hate waiting. I'd like to build my PC this weekend. Can I use my wife's old Windows 7 disk, skip registration/activation for now, and just key in the new product key once my disk arrives? I know you have 30 days to register Windows 7, but I wasn't sure if the product key was somehow embedded in your PC when you used that disk.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Solution
1) It is possible.
2) If you eventually get the notice, Microsoft should work with you since the items connected to the new motherboard would be the same as where connected to the old motherboard.
3) Yes. The disk is a generic disk. it is the key that keeps everyone honest.
1) It is possible.
2) If you eventually get the notice, Microsoft should work with you since the items connected to the new motherboard would be the same as where connected to the old motherboard.
3) Yes. The disk is a generic disk. it is the key that keeps everyone honest.

Solution

dproberts

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2009

I didn't realize that you could check the activation status - it appears that it's not activated yet, we'll check that next.

Her version & the one I ordered are both Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit, so it sounds like we should be okay.

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
1. Can you use a OEM key again? Yes normally you wont have a issue but sometimes you will have to call them when your key gets bounced.
2. A OEM disk will work as much as you want it to as long as you have the appropriate keys.
3. There are still host sites that have Unmolested Win 7 ISO's but I can't openly list them because they are no longer partnered with Microsoft, PM me if this is a Route you wish to take. I use Flash Drives for Installs myself, no chance of a Scratch messing your install up.

dproberts

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2009
Thanks to all for your help. I don't know if it's the impending arrival of Windows 10 or what, but Microsoft has been incredibly lenient about all of our installations, and we have Windows up and running on both PCs now, with both qualified for the Windows 10 upgrade - and we didn't have to buy ANY new software!