Reusing Windows 7 OEM disc and code

emperor_mark

Prominent
Sep 14, 2017
had an old pc with windows 7 OEM system builder pack installed on (upgraded from XP)

I have since sold this PC and tried to remove windows 7 but could not reset the pc to Factory settings ( only option was for a clean install of windows)

Does this mean I can't use this disc and keycode to install windows 7 on my new pc? a second pc?

Solution

There is no "cheap but legit".
A valid Windows OS license costs around $90.

But really, its time to move off Win 7. A Win 10 license costs about the same.

USAFRet

Titan

No, you can't use an OEM Win 7 on different hardware.

emperor_mark

Prominent
Sep 14, 2017

Can I use the same disc but a different key then?

if you have a valid, unused windows 7 key then you can use any copy of windows 7 to install

if you are referring to the same key that was used on the computer you just sold then that would be a no

USAFRet

Titan

Unknown. You mention "upgraded from XP"
Was this an upgrade license or a full install?There's a difference.

In reality, though...you've gotten many years out of this OS and its license.
Maybe it's time to move on to a new purchased OS.

What were you planning to put it on?

emperor_mark

Prominent
Sep 14, 2017

Okay, do you know any good websites where i can buy a cheap but legit, new windows 7 key to use with the old disc?

emperor_mark

Prominent
Sep 14, 2017

Its the windows 7 OEM system builder pack which i believed was tied to one computer only but was a little unsure.
From what I have read, I can still use the disc, but need a new code which i believe can be any windows 7 code?

Would you recommend any legit and cheap websites for just buying a code?

Correct, it is time i move to another, but im just very curious.

buying key for cheap always has there risks of deactivating at any time. luckily toms recently posted an article about this subject. the article focuses on windows 10 keys but its basically the same for any version of windows you want a key for

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/get-windows-10-free-or-cheap,5717.html?utm_content=buffer451ac&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

USAFRet

Titan

There is no "cheap but legit".
A valid Windows OS license costs around $90.

But really, its time to move off Win 7. A Win 10 license costs about the same.

Solution