Reverse genociding gray dragons

Hello rgrn!

I've yet another elven Ranger running, and this one hasn't got
any early wishes either.

Tiehl the Reconnoiterer St:18 Dx:16 Co:16 In:13 Wi:14 Ch:10
Chaotic
Dlvl:8 $:0 HP:84(84) Pw:37(80) AC:-12 Xp:13/40877 T:38400

I've already experienced a polymorph trap accident, and I really
want to get magic resistance. *Badly*. I've got a magic lamp,
but I'm definitely saving it as a light source. Smokies are booze,
but so far I've been unable to pull a wish off them. On the other
hand, I have an uncursed scroll of genocide, and a potion of
unholy water. The question is: would it be (relatively) safe for
this char to reverse genocide gray dragons? From monster spoiler
they don't seem to be *too* tough, especially if I avoid taking
on more than one of them at a time, but maybe I'm missing
something.

--
roy axenov

jorge estrada wrote:
> roy axenov wrote:
>
> > Hello rgrn!
> >
> > I've yet another elven Ranger running, and this one hasn't got
> > any early wishes either.
> >
> > Tiehl the Reconnoiterer St:18 Dx:16 Co:16 In:13 Wi:14 Ch:10
> > Chaotic
> > Dlvl:8 $:0 HP:84(84) Pw:37(80) AC:-12 Xp:13/40877 T:38400
> >
> > I've already experienced a polymorph trap accident, and I
> > really want to get magic resistance. *Badly*. I've got a magic
> > lamp, but I'm definitely saving it as a light source.
>
> I guess you don't need MR that badly, if you don't want to use the
> lamp.

Having no MR was what killed my last elven Ranger.

Anyway, even if lack of MR doesn't kill you, it's definitely a
source of inconvenience. An incovenience often kills, too.

> Permanent light is overrated.

No it's not. Not for me, anyway. Been there both with permanent light
and without it. Loved the former.

> It won't kill you to go without and you still have a normal lamp.

No, it wouldn't. It would cause inconvenience, too, though, and
inconvenience is what kills advanced characters most often.

> > Smokies are booze, but so far I've been unable to pull a wish off
> > them. On the other hand, I have an uncursed scroll of genocide,
> > and a potion of unholy water. The question is: would it be
> > (relatively) safe for this char to reverse genocide gray dragons?
>
> Dragons hit hard, but there is an easy way to negate their attacks.
> Use Elbereth. If you have reflection you can also snipe them with
> your bow.

I had no WoFire/WoLightning, so I just dug out a corridor and fought
them one at a time. Worked for me anyway.

> No , not really, but if you get surrounded with -12 ac they will
> take you down.

Uh huh, that's what would've happened - I obviously somewhat
underestimated their melee power. Luckily for me, they were quite
bent on attacking me with magic missiles, but when they'd switched to
melee, they'd hit hard.

--
roy axenov

Janis Papanagnou wrote:
> roy axenov wrote:
> > [reverse genociding gray D's at Clvl:13/Dlvl:8]
>
> Personally I am quite reluctant to create "my own" dragons as
> long as there is the possibility that I can manage to find some
> dragon at Ludios, in the castle■, or in some zoo.

Ludios is not always out there, and the chance to get a gray dragon
there is pretty slim. And the Castle is way too far into the game to
risk going there without MR if you can avoid it.

> ■ Though dangerous due to a possible titan, the higher liches, or
> specific nagas.

On a side note, golden nagas definitely joined my genocide list for
chaotics recently. Why, I didn't know they had 'destroy armour',
too.

--
roy axenov

roy axenov wrote:

> Hello rgrn!
>
> I've yet another elven Ranger running, and this one hasn't got
> any early wishes either.
>
> Tiehl the Reconnoiterer St:18 Dx:16 Co:16 In:13 Wi:14 Ch:10
> Chaotic
> Dlvl:8 $:0 HP:84(84) Pw:37(80) AC:-12 Xp:13/40877 T:38400
>
> I've already experienced a polymorph trap accident, and I really
> want to get magic resistance. *Badly*. I've got a magic lamp,
> but I'm definitely saving it as a light source.

I guess you don't need MR that badly, if you don't want to use the
lamp. Permanent light is overrated. It won't kill you to go without
and you still have a normal lamp. Whenever i get a magic lamp and
don't have don't have reflection or MR i use it right off. On the
other hand, if i had a cursed scroll of Genocide i would use that
first.

roy axenov wrote:
> Hello rgrn!
>
> I've yet another elven Ranger running, and this one hasn't got
> any early wishes either.
>
> Tiehl the Reconnoiterer St:18 Dx:16 Co:16 In:13 Wi:14 Ch:10
> Chaotic
> Dlvl:8 $:0 HP:84(84) Pw:37(80) AC:-12 Xp:13/40877 T:38400
>
> I've already experienced a polymorph trap accident, and I really
> want to get magic resistance. *Badly*. I've got a magic lamp,
> but I'm definitely saving it as a light source. Smokies are booze,
> but so far I've been unable to pull a wish off them. On the other
> hand, I have an uncursed scroll of genocide, and a potion of
> unholy water. The question is: would it be (relatively) safe for
> this char to reverse genocide gray dragons? From monster spoiler
> they don't seem to be *too* tough, especially if I avoid taking
> on more than one of them at a time, but maybe I'm missing
> something.

If you can take one at a time you will be able to manage that. Take
care of their magic missile attack if want to recover engraving the
E-word and don't have reflection.

Personally I am quite reluctant to create "my own" dragons as long
as there is the possibility that I can manage to find some dragon at
Ludios, in the castle■, or in some zoo.

■ Though dangerous due to a possible titan, the higher liches, or
specific nagas.

Janis

Find a 3*3 room or dig one yourself. Lock all doors and burn Elbereth to
the middle square with /oFire or Lightning. Read the scroll and then
just whack away. The dragons will be scared and won't attack you. I just
tried this in wiz mode and killed 4 gray dragons at XpLvl 1 wielding a
+1 dagger.

Tero Toiviainen wrote:
> I just tried this in wiz mode and killed 4 gray dragons at XpLvl
> 1 wielding a +1 dagger.

Impossible. You can only kill ONE dragon at experience level one.

--
Boudewijn Waijers (kroisos at home.nl).

Boudewijn Waijers kirjoitti:
> Tero Toiviainen wrote:
>
>>I just tried this in wiz mode and killed 4 gray dragons at XpLvl
>>1 wielding a +1 dagger.
>

> Impossible. You can only kill ONE dragon at experience level one.

...Unless you use #levelchange ;)

James

In article <d108o2$t0g$1@plaza.suomi.net>,
Tero Toiviainen <ainavalmis69@hotmail.com> wrote:

>> Impossible. You can only kill ONE dragon at experience level one.
>>

>..Unless you use #levelchange ;)

Or Drain Life.

james wrote:
> In article <d108o2$t0g$1@plaza.suomi.net>,
> Tero Toiviainen <ainavalmis69@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>>Impossible. You can only kill ONE dragon at experience level one.
>>>
>>..Unless you use #levelchange ;)
>
> Or Drain Life.

Would it be possible to cast drain life at experience level one?
(Ignoring Stormbringer for a moment.)

Janis

James

In article <d118mt$l6v$1@online.de>,
Janis Papanagnou <Janis_Papanagnou@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Would it be possible to cast drain life at experience level one?
>(Ignoring Stormbringer for a moment.)

I would not ignore stormy, since all my characters tend to use it.

But you can have drain-life cast against you, even if you can't cast it
yourself.

I don't know if it's possible for a wiz to cast it though.

"Boudewijn Waijers" <kroisos@REMOVETHISWORD.home.nl> writes:
> Tero Toiviainen wrote:
> > I just tried this in wiz mode and killed 4 gray dragons at XpLvl
> Impossible. You can only kill ONE dragon at experience level one.

...unless you kill them in one turn.
(Scroll of earth? Some wand?)

--
Jukka Lahtinen

Jukka Lahtinen wrote:
> "Boudewijn Waijers" <kroisos@REMOVETHISWORD.home.nl> writes:
>> Tero Toiviainen wrote:

>>> I just tried this in wiz mode and killed 4 gray dragons at XpLvl
>> Impossible. You can only kill ONE dragon at experience level one.
> ..unless you kill them in one turn.

Even if you could somehow get four dragons lined up, and zapped them
with a wand of death, you would *still* get XP for the first one hit, go
up a level, *then* hit the second one, go up another level, etc.

--

Boudewijn Waijers wrote:
> Jukka Lahtinen wrote:

>>>Impossible. You can only kill ONE dragon at experience level one.
>>
>>..unless you kill them in one turn.
>
> Even if you could somehow get four dragons lined up, and zapped them
> with a wand of death, you would *still* get XP for the first one hit, go
> up a level, *then* hit the second one, go up another level, etc.

Just a thought...

What would happen if you break a wand of death with a couple dragons
adjacent; would you die before or after them?

<quick check>

Are you really sure you want to break your wand of death? [yn] (n)
Raising your wand of death high above your head, you break it in two!
The gray dragon is caught in the death field!
The gray dragon resists the death field!
The gray dragon is caught in the death field!
You kill the gray dragon! Welcome to experience level 2.
The gray dragon is caught in the death field!
You kill the gray dragon! Welcome to experience level 3.
The gray dragon is caught in the death field!
You kill the gray dragon! Welcome to experience level 4.
You are caught in the death field! Fritz eats a gray dragon corpse.

Oops. Most of these _gray_ dragons *died* on that event and just one
survived with

Status of the gray dragon (lawful): Level 14 HP 36(92) AC -1.

It must have been the magical blast that killed the dragons!?
Let's continue zapping at them...

The death ray hits the gray dragon. The death ray bounces!
The death ray hits the gray dragon. The death ray hits you!
You aren't affected.

Though zapping death does not work (as expected).

Janis

fishbowl@conservatory.com (james) wrote in news:7e1Zd.20373$KK5.18271
@fed1read03:

> In article <d118mt$l6v$1@online.de>,
> Janis Papanagnou <Janis_Papanagnou@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Would it be possible to cast drain life at experience level one?

> I don't know if it's possible for a wiz to cast it though.

If they have the spell then yes, they'll cast it quite nice.