Dec 18, 2012
Here are the important specs:

CPU: FX8120 OC to 4.0Ghz
MB: ASUS M5-A88-M
RAM: 12gb of cheaper ram
GPU: MSI HD7950
HDDs: Western Digital Green 3tb, Western Digital Green 2tb
SSD: Kingston 120gb

So I have Windows 8.1 installed on Kingston. I signed up for Windows 10 Review, it download and I went thru the steps to install. Instead of a complete new install, it "upgraded" to 10. Almost like upgrading from 7 to 8, or 8 to 8.1. After it did its thing, it loaded to Windows 10. Suddenly the screen flashed terribly and I had lag on EVERYTHING. After only about 15secs it always restarted to a blue screen with an error message ( cant remember message). I looked it up and it was an incompatible video driver. Trust me, I had the newest AMD drivers. So I was finally able to revert back to 8.1. That's when the problems began.

Windows load times are SLOW.

If I click on internet, it sounds like my HDD spools up from sleep mode and its very slow. Once online, you can here my HDD "wake up" and it makes that "clicking" sound. Again, Windows in installed on SSD

Game loading times once were seconds and now minutes...and minutes....and minutes....

I have gotten ASUS error messages during start up ( again cant remember exactly) but one was that my CPU cant boot with current OC. I've had it set there for 2yrs now and no problem.

Have had random Windows pop-ups and errors but once I see them my computer crashes and restarts.

Something simple as right-clicking on and icon or whatever, you can here HDD spool up and has that "clicking" sound.

My question is, what the heck is going on? Is it Windows, bios, hardware?

Thank you community

Solution
I think your revert failed, for whatever reason

Full install with Win 10 when it comes out? Current indications point to that being a viable option. We shall see.

fasteddy80

Honorable
Dec 18, 2012
I looked it up from another pc, I had to be very FAST, very, and had to hold down certain keys which brought up the option to repair Windows, revert, etc. I clicked on revert. It literally took me 5 tries before I could get it to go. That's how fast it would restart or crash

USAFRet

Titan

The current Windows 10 still being a Tech Preview, I'd suggest a full wipe and reinstall of 8.1.
Instead of the 'Revert' thing.

Yes, that is supposed to be a functional option, but the Tech Preview still being developed, maybe that particular deal is not quite there yet.

Or...have you reinstalled all your relevant drivers for 8.1?

fasteddy80

Honorable
Dec 18, 2012
IM not sure what drivers your speaking of. All my drivers were up to date prior to 10, AMD latest drivers for 8 and supposedly 10. Did Windows 10 install and auto install new drivers for other hardware and when I reverted they remained?

fasteddy80

Honorable
Dec 18, 2012
I'm not sure if its relevant, but the Windows logo is on my bottom bar and once I place my mouse over it, it says "Get Windows 10". Did the revert not work completely? I read that if you upgrade to 10, Windows makes a temp folder with your previous version. Did my reverted version get placed on my slower HDD?

USAFRet

Titan

Possibly. The Win 10 TP possibly overwrote what you had.

I'd also submit a report to MS on this. This function 'should' work. Apparently, it didn't for you.

USAFRet

Titan

That logo is simply an advertising thing for the final release of Win 10 on July 29.
Nothing to do with the TP you had previously installed.

Status
Not open for further replies.