[SOLVED] Review my first build

Tamil.t7

Prominent
Mar 24, 2019
Hi, I'm new to this forum and this is my first build. The goal is to build an average all rounder PC with little future proofing. I'll be using this majorly for web development and some casual gaming stuffs. Also have a plan of doing machine learning in future (Might add another GPU in parallel (non-sli) based on the need).

Your feedback or suggestion on the below build would really help me.

CPU: Intel Core I7-8700 (non-k)
CPU Cooler: Be Quiet dark rock 4 [Currently out of stock in my region. if possible please suggest me an alternative good quality cooler in same price range]
GPU: Zotac RTX 2060 AMP
MOBO: Gigabyte z390 Aorus pro
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3200 Mhz
Storage: SAMSUNG 970 EVO plus 5000GB NVME M.2 SSD
PSU: Seasonic M12II EVO 620W
Monitor: Samsung CGF73 24 inch 1080p 144Hz curved monitor
Case: Corsair carbide Spec-06

My major confusion is on the case. I really like the look and the compact design of the spec-06 but not sure if it could give this build a proper air flow.

Solution
The RX or TX would be my choice out of that list.

I don't think a non-overclocked 8700 puts a terrible strain on the cooler - are Gammax 400's available where you are? Good budget cooler. I would make sure the case has plenty of fans tho.

If you need to save some money, would recommend dropping from the 970 Evo to an 860 Evo (still in m.2 format) - the performance difference is great on paper but not so much in real world. I have a 960 and an 860 and the level load time difference on a 10 second load was 1 second.

DSzymborski

Titan
The Cryorig H7 is an acceptable budget cooler.

The SeaSonic S12/M12 series remains a good choice for people on very tight budgets, but at this budget level, I'd want something on a modern platform rather than a group-regulated PSU, even a good example of one. I'd be looking at SeaSonic Focus, EVGA G2/G3/GS, or Corsair RMx PSUs.

Tamil.t7

Prominent
Mar 24, 2019
The Cryorig H7 is an acceptable budget cooler.

The SeaSonic S12/M12 series remains a good choice for people on very tight budgets, but at this budget level, I'd want something on a modern platform rather than a group-regulated PSU, even a good example of one. I'd be looking at SeaSonic Focus, EVGA G2/G3/GS, or Corsair RMx PSUs.
Thanks for the response. Initially, I also was looking for cryorig h7. But it is not available in my country. Do u think the dark rock is an overkill?

For the psu, in my region, the rmx 650 is double the cost when compared to the m12ii. Does the m12ii affect the system stablility? (I don't mind the bronze efficiency rating)

Tamil.t7

Prominent
Mar 24, 2019
I have arranged some more alternatives in low to high cost order (in my region). Please help me to choose one.
CX650M
corsair vengeance 650M
Seasonic S12G 650W
TX650M
RX650M

Last edited:

I don't think a non-overclocked 8700 puts a terrible strain on the cooler - are Gammax 400's available where you are? Good budget cooler. I would make sure the case has plenty of fans tho.

If you need to save some money, would recommend dropping from the 970 Evo to an 860 Evo (still in m.2 format) - the performance difference is great on paper but not so much in real world. I have a 960 and an 860 and the level load time difference on a 10 second load was 1 second.

Solution

Tamil.t7

Prominent
Mar 24, 2019

Thanks much for the info. I would go with the TX650M as it costs a little less than the RM650X.

Also the EVO 860 seems to be solid choice. It almost costs only 60 percent of the evo 970 plus in my region.

Gammax is not available in my region. The deepcool neptwin/assassin II or any other cooler master/corsair models are easily available here.

Reactions: J_E_D_70

Tamil.t7

Prominent
Mar 24, 2019
To be frank, I'm a bit afraid to get a low profile cooler for this 12 thread processor. Even thought it is a non-k cpu, some say that the hyper threading makes the processor reach upto 120W. Do you think the 212 evo could take care of the 120W limit or shall i go to the 212 hyper 212x? (Sorry for the repeated questions. But i'm really confused right now for choosing right build)

Also any comment on the motherboard? Even though it is a non k cpu, I have chosen the z390 board because of the RAM overclocking and the better VRM power delivery.
I thought that the 12 thread processor will definitely give its max with the 12+1 phase VRM and a decent 200w cooler.

I'm running the k version with 6 VRM phases at 4.7 on all cores (and a Cryorig H5 - much smaller than the others) without issue. You're only going to turbo to 4.7 on one or two cores - since the load will almost always be more than that, the normal max is even lower. The only evidence I have is anecdotal but there are many threads out there with folks who are running the 8700/212 Evo combo and reporting it works fine.

Tamil.t7

Prominent
Mar 24, 2019
Ok. Is it fine if i could degrade my mobo (to a h370), ram (to 2666Mhz), SSD (to evo 860), cooler (to cm hyper 212 evo) and spend some more on the gpu and get rtx 2070? does it improve the performance to a considerable amount??

Tamil.t7

Prominent
Mar 24, 2019
Hmm - it looks like if you use two GPUs on an H370, the second card only works in X4 mode. Pretty sure X8 won't hold most cards back but thinking X4 might. Might look for a cheaper Z370 with X8/X8.
Sorry for the delayed response. I think I would go with the h370 board. Anyhow, there's a long gap for me to add an extra gpu (min 3 yrs). Also I'm not even sure that I would add one if I buy a 2070 now.