• Now's your chance win big! Join our community and get entered to win a RTX 2060 GPU, plus more! Join here.

Meet Stan Dmitriev of SurrogateTV on the Pi Cast TODAY! The show is live August 11th at 2:30 pm ET (7:30 PM BST). Watch live right here!

Professional PC modder Mike Petereyns joins Scharon on the Tom's Hardware Show live on Thursday, August 13th at 3:00 pm ET (8:00 PM BST). Click here!

Question Review of my plan to upgrade to a new pc

Apr 20, 2020
Hi guys!

I've been away from self-building computers for about 8-10 years, but i've read alot and things did not significantly changed since then. My current computer was purchased from a friend that makes custom builds a few years ago. Since it is already 5 years old, and does not keep up with current games, has rather bad CAD / VM performance, and now 2 hard-drives start to make weird noises, so its best to replace it

To provide as much as possible info, here is my current setup:

Mainboard: Asus X99 Strix
CPU: Intel i7 6800k, with one-radiator corsair all in one
RAM: DDR3 2x16 GB
GPU: Inno3D GTX1070
PSU: Corsair 550W
Storage: 250Gb Sata SSD for OS, and ~6TB of Harddrives (5 Drives in Total) 95% full.
Display: 2pcs HP 22" 1080x1920

The new computer should be good for gaming, but also perform great at 3D CAD's like Altium or Solidworks, as well have the capability to run a virtual VM-Ware machine for testing of software and having virtual Server(s) for homeoffice. This is why i'ts not a pure gaming pc. I'm aware that there would be the possibility of upgrading my current setup, but i'm currently not planning to do it, because i think it would be a better option to sell it as complete pc without the drives instead of replacing some parts. I think the computer without the drives could go for maybe 500$. What do you think? My new PC should be usable and reasonable powered for at least 5-6years.

My current new selection is like this:
Mainboard: ASUS ROG X570-E
CPU: Ryzen 9 3900x
RAM: Corsair Vengeance RBG PRO 4x8Gb DDR4-3600
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce RTX2080 Super Waterforce
PSU: Corsair HX750i
SSD: Corsair MP600 500Gb (OS)
SSD: Samsung 860 QVO 4TB (for rest of the system). Also there will be a NAS for the rest of the current data.
Case: Fractal Define 7
Display: 2 x 24" WQHD Displays

The Ryzen was choosen because i've read that it performs better at software's than the i9-9900k. The 9900k is better ratet for gaming, but lower rated for CAD/Rendering application.

The Mainboard was primarily choosen because there is a full cover water block (not just CPU) and it has all USB3.1 ports and a 2.5G Ethernet connector as well. The MP600 I've choosen because of superior speed and very attractive price.

What do you think about this setting? Are there any bad choices?

For the Water Cooling i would go with hard tube and the following components

• 2pcs of SE360 (28mm) Radiators from EK
  • EK Quantum full Mainboard cooler
  • EK Quantum D5 Pump
  • 3 Corsair LL120 RGB Fans (for the top radiator)
  • 3 EK Vardar 120 Fans (for the front radiator)
As my understanding of water cooling is, that the more radiators you put there, the lower the fan-speed can be. My primary goal is to have a quiet computer in idle mode, but have enough cooling power for huge loads and rather warm ambient temperature. In the summer, my room can heat up to 32°C

What do you think about this water cooling setup?

Thanks for your opinions

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS