Revive Dead Drives (wrong sata power cable)

Mar 1, 2018
EDIT: They can't be saved, in this instance:

I've swapped the modular sata power cables on two different power supplies by accident and fried all the drives from two different systems, 2 SSD's and 2 hard drives. Does anybody ways I can try to revive drives?

A few things:

1. These were new systems with nothing important on them. Not looking for data recovery options, just want to see if I can recover almost $300 worth of storage.

2. I've seen the trick with Crucial drives not being detected and the fix for that, but none of my drives are Crucial.

3. I've seen the SSD baking trick where you put them in the oven, not too keen on trying that, maybe as a last resort.

4. I took apart the hard drives a bit. One of them is really old and was burned and had physical damage, the other was a new seagate barracuda with no visible damage or funky smell, unlike the other drive. The two 2.5 SATA III SSD's I haven't opened yet and they didn't have the funky smell either. That's where my hope lies.

If you have any info, even if you're not sure, I'd really appreciate if someone could point me in the right direction. This may be a wild goose hunt but hopefully I can learn from it!

Mar 1, 2018

Yes, that's what I did, and I learned that before I fried any drives. But in this case I just mixed them up. I guess if you're really unlucky, then a 3v wire will plug into a 12v wire, or a voltage into a ground, then the drives just die. I've heard that in most cases, either the cables are really wired the same, or it's like a 3v into a 5v and it's only underpowered, no problems. I got unlucky, so now I check every sata power, molex and vga cable with a multimeter.

COLGeek

Cybernaut

Sorry for your loss. Truly.

TRENDING THREADS