[SOLVED] Reviving my old PC need suggestions on components to use for a Budget build?

Aug 4, 2021
Hi All,

I have below components with me which I want to use mainly to build a budget gaming PC mainly focused for weekend gaming and entertainment purpose.

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H110M-S2
Processor: Intel Pentium G4400
RAM: Generic brand 4GB DDR4
HDD: Western Digital 500GB HDD
Monitor: Dell S2216H
GPU: MSI 750 Ti OC (Sourced recently from a friend.)
Power supply: Generic brand 450 Watt.

These are the components that are currently with me, I am planning on upgrading RAM, Power supply, SSD, and add some RGB fans to the system.

Need your suggestions for the components that I should be picking up supporting the components that I already have.

Thanks in advance!

Solution
Depends on what games really. Pentium G4400 being only a dual core is very outdated and will hamper many recent titles, particularly online play.

H110 should support 6th and 7th generation Intel chips. Skylake and Kabylake are outdated as well, with the top chips being quad cores with hyperthreading, equivalent to late model i3.

If you have the cash to track down a used 6700 or 7700 processor, that would be about as good as it gets.

750Ti is fine for light gaming, and older titles.

You've already mentioned getting memory and SSD, that is a good idea.

At the moment, still a fairly low power system. Generic 450W might be okay, but no harm in getting a decent power supply.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Depends on what games really. Pentium G4400 being only a dual core is very outdated and will hamper many recent titles, particularly online play.

H110 should support 6th and 7th generation Intel chips. Skylake and Kabylake are outdated as well, with the top chips being quad cores with hyperthreading, equivalent to late model i3.

If you have the cash to track down a used 6700 or 7700 processor, that would be about as good as it gets.

At the moment, still a fairly low power system. Generic 450W might be okay, but no harm in getting a decent power supply.

Solution
Aug 4, 2021

Hey Eximo,

Thanks for the reply, I am focusing only on CS:GO and GTA 5.

I am aware of the G4400 being old, but I am planning to run that for now.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
GTA 5 runs pretty well on even older dual cores, so that shouldn't be too bad. Medium/High at 720p, perhaps even 1080p should be alright with a 750Ti.

CS:GO is very light, but is mostly focused on single core performance, so should also be alright. Not going to get the 250FPS that people seem to want these days, but certainly playable.

If you are doing a cheaper build, skip the fancy lit up fans, they do absolutely nothing for the system. Now if you had an i7, 1080 card and a nice PSU already, sure spend the extra $40-50 on spinning lights. For a 6 yr old dual core CPU with those parts around it, not really a good plan to spend money outside of the core speed of the system.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
IMO, if you are going to keep the current CPU:

Update to 2x4gb matched sticks of RAM. I would not be concerned much about speed, focus on price and low latency can't hurt. The CPU/GPU aren't going to tax the system enough that only having 8GB is going to hamper you that much, along with my next suggestion.

Get a good Samsung (or other high quality) SSD. Something 8-900 series. I would suggest at least as big as current drive, and better 1TB. Use this for your OS. If you can budget it, get yourself another HDD which is FAR larger than what you have. You should be able to source up to 2-3 TB really cheap for a HDD.

I would consider being on the lookout for a cheap CPU upgrade (as above) A great trick to this is, instead of looking for that specific CPU, look for office builds with that CPU inside. This would be a bit harder with the newer old generation you are looking for...but the plus side includes taking out your current, putting in the one you found and having something useful to sell on or reuse in another application.

Reactions: KillerPriest04