News Revolutionary Samsung tech that enables stacking HBM on CPU or GPU arrives this year — SAINT-D HBM scheduled for 2024 rollout, says report

oofdragon

Honorable
Oct 14, 2017
Revolutionary..... where? Will it make processors next year make s revolutionary leap that will leave the predecessor eating dust? No? Só It's not revolutionary

I'm not sure if HBM is as sensitive to temperatures as DRAM is but this still seems like something that couldn't effectively be implemented until BSPDN nodes go live. Seems like more of an investor bait type announcement than anything industry impacting.

Revolutionary..... where? Will it make processors next year make s revolutionary leap that will leave the predecessor eating dust? No? Só It's not revolutionary
if the application is heavily ram influenced? very much so.

(not really useful but it is an example)
Y Cruncher for example would (i believe) benefit as its actually bandwidth bound so higher bandwidth memory (hbm) would see a significant performance increase.

i believe DDR5 caps out around 8GT/s (64GB/s) for bandwidth compared to HBM3 which can do around 100GT/s (819GB/s) and as you can imagine thats a massive performance if the application can utilize that.

Will it likely ever replace ram? no. However you could (likely) easily add a small amount and then have it spill over into dram/vram as needed.

thisisaname

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2009
if the application is heavily ram influenced? very much so.

(not really useful but it is an example)
Y Cruncher for example would (i believe) benefit as its actually bandwidth bound so higher bandwidth memory (hbm) would see a significant performance increase.

i believe DDR5 caps out around 8GT/s (64GB/s) for bandwidth compared to HBM3 which can do around 100GT/s (819GB/s) and as you can imagine thats a massive performance if the application can utilize that.

Will it likely ever replace ram? no. However you could (likely) easily add a small amount and then have it spill over into dram/vram as needed.
Sounds to me more evolutional than revolutionary.?

DS426

Great
May 15, 2024
3D DRAM stacking on the CPU (or more specifically, on CPU logic dies) will eventually happen in the consumer world; just look at how much 3D V-Cache improved the Ryzen platform when utilized. I say g'luck on thermals, but I'm sure someone will figure it out.

Reactions: LabRat 891
Hmm this is interesting but is going to face some pretty harsh TDP issues. High clocked DDR5 already is quite warm to the touch and on top of a 65~95W CPU die it would act as a thermal insulator. They could go with a wider 256-bit memory bus and clock the ram at half speed, would significantly reduce the thermal production but that's not good for CPU processing (great for GPU though).

edzieba

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2016
The article misses the most important part of this: it migrates the HBM logic die out of the HBM stack and into the host die.

Normally, a HBM 'chip' is a stack of DRAM ICs on top of a logic IC, and with the interfaces going through the logic TO to the substrate that hosts the main compute die(s). Here, the DRAM stacks go directly onto a really big logic die that hosts both the main compute and the HBM controller in one piece of monolithic silicon.