Rewiring phone jack

juanasalinas

Reputable
Jan 23, 2016
Thanks for this forum.
I have router connected to phone jack via basic telephone line cord. This phone jack works well. However, when I go to different room with phone jack that has identical appearance, I do not get signal. I think I must rewire this phone jack. Am I right? And is this a job that a layman could handle? Thanks very much.

I dunno. Are you afraid of electricity? do you understand positive and negative? Have you ever replaced your own power outlets? wired your speakers? Do you own a volt/ohmeter and know how to use?

First to understand what you need to do, knowing how your house is wired is essential. A single phone cable has 2 twisted pairs of wires, is good for 2 phone lines. There are 2 possibilities:

1. From the main junction (feed) the cable goes to the first jack, and one pair is used and attached to this jack, the second pair is NOT attached to this but continues to the second jack. Open plate and verify. At the junction box, move ISP input from pair1 to pair2. The pairs are color coded.

JUNCTION cable ===(both pairs)===> Jack1 ----(pair2 only)-----> Jack2.

2. There are 2 separate cables going from junction to jack1 and jack2, so the ISP is using cable1 to deliver you the signal. All you have to do then is to switch the ISP input, AT THE JUNCTION BOX, from cable1 to cable2, noting the pairs used colors.

JUNCTION cable 1 -------> Jack 1
JUNCTION cable 2 -------> Jack 2

Now when you are changing the Internet, your landline is also changed, because it uses the same pair of wires.

Throughly confused? Your ISP will come to fix you up, maybe for a modest fee. All you say is, I want Internet on Jack2.

juanasalinas

Reputable
Jan 23, 2016
Thanks very much Mr. Smith. No, not afraid of electricity (a jolt may quiet the voices) but the work may be over my head. I will reread and reread your response though. Maybe I will begin to understand and jump in. Thanks very much for the answer and your time.

Now when you are changing the Internet, your landline is also changed, because it uses the same pair of wires.

Throughly confused? Your ISP will come to fix you up, maybe for a modest fee. All you say is, I want Internet on Jack2.[/quotemsg]