[SOLVED] RGB 3-pin to 4-pin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exploding PSU

Honorable
Jul 17, 2018
So, long story short, I bought myself a new 250 GB SSD, a Teamgroup T-Force Delta SSD (I didn't buy the SSD from that exact seller, but I bought exactly the same model). I didn't have any plans to buy any SSD, but I saw a good deal on my local store and jumped the gun. Unwise, I know, but that's not the main problem.

The thing is, that SSD has an addressable RGB light. But, it uses a 5V 3-pin RGB connector. I only have the 'standard' 12V 4-pin connector here. Is there any (easy) way I can connect the SSD's RGB? Maybe an adapter or something? I haven't connected it yet because I'm afraid something bad will happen (I know nothing about electricity, but connecting a 5V device to a 12V connector doesn't sound right, I might blow something up). I don't care about addressable lights, I just want the SSD to light up.

I understand the blame is on me because I didn't do enough research before buying, but well, I wonder if there's a way to get around this problem. If all doesn't go well, I'd probably simply return the SSD.

Solution
I doubt it is possible. The 4-pin RGB headers simply provide a common +12 VDC supply and three Ground leads for the 3 LED colours in the unit, and the mobo does all of the work on switching the LED three colours on and off. The 4-pin Addressable headers use an entirely different LED system in which the pin are +12 VDC, Ground, and Control Signal. The latter is a serial signal stream sent out bu the mobo header. The LED unit itself has its own controller chip that accepts that signal and does the actual control according to the code received. Conversion of one system to another would not be simple, requiring significant "smarts" and storage.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
I doubt it is possible. The 4-pin RGB headers simply provide a common +12 VDC supply and three Ground leads for the 3 LED colours in the unit, and the mobo does all of the work on switching the LED three colours on and off. The 4-pin Addressable headers use an entirely different LED system in which the pin are +12 VDC, Ground, and Control Signal. The latter is a serial signal stream sent out bu the mobo header. The LED unit itself has its own controller chip that accepts that signal and does the actual control according to the code received. Conversion of one system to another would not be simple, requiring significant "smarts" and storage.

Solution

Exploding PSU

Honorable
Jul 17, 2018

Well, that's unfortunate.. But, I should've expected that.. Thanks for clearing that out, Doc! I'll just return the SSD and get another one, probably one without RGB lights.. Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.