RGB All The Things With NZXT's Aer RGB Fans

Status
Not open for further replies.

thundervore

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
Seems like they took the design from Thermaltake and make the ring glow instead of the blades. Now if these would only connect to the motherboards RBG header so we can get rid of these extra addons like Hue+ and Comander mini.

Well at least its better that the crap Corsair put out that is not even RGB because they only do 7 colours, cannot turn off the LEDs, cannot software control them with corsair link, and only available in 120mm.

tiagoluz8

Reputable
Jul 21, 2015

I don't know about the Hue+, but with my GRID+ V2 it works fine. I use it as my primary monitoring and fan controlling software and I have no problems at all.

dj1001

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2009
No high pressure option? I have found that in almost every case a high pressure fan is better. The airflow fans may perform better in open air but that is never the usage scenario in a case. You will always have dust filters and fan grills to move the air through. In every real world application I've encountered, a static pressure optimized fan performed head and shoulders above an air flow fan.

Ps. the best fans on the market right now IMO are the fractal venturi HP. 120mm and 140mm they are great fans for a competitive high end fan price.

g-unit1111

Titan
Anyone else starting to feel like there's RGB overkill? I got it with keyboards and mice, but then motherboards and fans, and RAM and SSDs, and custom case lighting. There's even an RGB power supply. Seriously?

scolaner

Reputable
Jul 30, 2014

Can't say I disagree...

scolaner

Reputable
Jul 30, 2014

Heh. Well, thought of another way: For some people, I think the fact that there's so much being put into RGB for new products means there's less energy/time/money left over for different ideas and innovations that they would rather see on the market.

tiagoluz8

Reputable
Jul 21, 2015

I don't care if everything is RGB, as long as the price is the same as if it didn't have RGB, also be able to disable the lights is nice or maybe just have a standard cheaper non-RGB version of the thing. But with that comes a problem, availability. All the retailers want to please the masses, and the masses love RGB, so they make sure to keep the RGB stuff stocked, while the cheaper but still good stuff is nowhere to be seen.

thundervore

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011

The whole point of the RGB is to colour theme the computer and make it match. If the individual want to run a disco ball lightshow then I can see it is a 100% annoyance.

I remember back then it was a challenge to get components that match, like green PCB motherboard, blue PCB GPU. Thankfully now they have all black PCBs now but they come with weird colours or colours most cannot match with. Heatsinks on motherboards now come with all different colours and unless the customer wants a red themed PC its hard to get a GPU than does not have some red in it. Blue is mostly absent, along with orange or white. Green went the way of the dodo since the G1 Sniper boards so we are left with just red and black themes. RGB resolves this because now we can pick the colour we want to match.

I would to have a yellow themed rig, or Magenta, even purple. no red, IMO im sick and tired of seeing red everywhere!

g-unit1111

Titan

Don't get me wrong - that I am 100% for. Having a uniform color scheme makes so much more sense than anything else. I am planning to customize my rig with a black and orange color scheme, though I might think of black and blue since that is the motherboard I have. The disco ball breathing color scheme is what I am against.

Design1stcode2nd

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2010
I don't have an issue with all the RGB, even on mouse pads and hardline fittings (they have that now too). Like others have said as long as their is a cheaper non-led version.

Although I have to say I don't think the manufacturers would be adding LEDs to everything unless there was a market for it.

I do agree it's nice to be able to match your color scheme or go neutral with the parts and be able to change colors whenever you feel like it by just using the LEDs.

RomeoReject

Reputable
Jan 4, 2015
"Heh. Well, thought of another way: For some people, I think the fact that there's so much being put into RGB for new products means there's less energy/time/money left over for different ideas and innovations that they would rather see on the market."
And that's sorta fair, though I doubt there's much energy and money put in to throwing an LED on something. The R&D required for a game-changing technology is leaps and bounds from this point.

"I don't care if everything is RGB, as long as the price is the same as if it didn't have RGB, also be able to disable the lights is nice or maybe just have a standard cheaper non-RGB version of the thing. But with that comes a problem, availability. All the retailers want to please the masses, and the masses love RGB, so they make sure to keep the RGB stuff stocked, while the cheaper but still good stuff is nowhere to be seen."
And again, fair point, except last I checked, there's an absolute PLETHORA of non-LED choices. It takes more energy to find the LED option with cases, PSUs, GPUs, memory and mousepads. Fans are about 50/50. Headsets are just about the only one where LED tends to be the dominant example.

scolaner

Reputable
Jul 30, 2014

You're right in a way, but I'm talking less about R&D and more about just product development. Most of these companies don't have that many people working on a given project...the majority aren't like Google/Apple/MSFT with nearly infinite human and financial resources. It's often just a small group of people making/approving design decisions.

So, let's say I'm project manager for a case/fan maker. If I decide I want to put LEDs on a fan, I have to figure out the details of what it should be and how it should look, troubleshoot the engineering (it's not *that* simple), get things approved by the powers that be (I assume), work out manufacturing, etc. That's energy/time/money.

And if I'm a user who is not interested in LED-lit fans, to me it's a waste of all three. (Of course, if I'm all about some lit fans, it's an awesome use of resources...)

EndTheFed

Commendable
Oct 5, 2016
I like the fact that there are options. If someone doesn't want LED strips lined throughout their case a couple high airflow fans might do the trick to add some light but not having it overkill. I'd say the Termaltake Riing fans will be left in the dust since Hue + is a much better implemented system with future upgrade ability, plus the 6 year warranty versus the Riing's 2 year this is an no brainer.

I'm going to hold out for static pressure fans. I use radiators and high airflow does nothing to compliment my build.

Status
Not open for further replies.