cannond1396

Reputable
Aug 15, 2018
I've been thinking about upgrading my case for more cooling since I have 3 fans and I have room for up to 5 fans. Right now the fans is connected to the fan hub which is connected to the PSU. My Asus motherboard is "Aura sync" compatible and has two RGB headers and they are 4 pins. The problem is, the aura fans that I'm looking at has 3 pins. I am not sure if the "fan hub" that connects to the motherboard "PWM FAN Header" is compatible with my motherboard.

This is my motherboard and the RGB Fan Headers are highlighted in yellow.

SFaiXtP.jpg

Here is the fan that I want for my case.

gSn04BO.jpg

And here is where I am unsure if this compatible to the 4 pins on my motherboard.

THo9k9O.jpg

Will using an adapter like this one should be able to do the trick to support 3 pins to 4 pin and be able to control the speed and change my RGB colors using the software instead of reaching into the case to the hub just to either change the color or speed.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07F8LV1B...uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

610FO3qYsML._SL1000_.jpg

Solution
First, are you asking about adapting the fan's power and pwm control connector or are you asking about adapting the 5v 3 pin addressable rgb control from the fan? Because that fan has two separate cables, one for power and control and the other for the rgb lighting.

Secondly, there's no such thing as an "RGB fan header".

Thirdly, your motherboard does NOT have a 3 pin, 5v addressable LED header, so literally there is no point to wasting your money on addressable rgb fans unless you plan on buying a separate addressable controller that can stand alone and doesn't need to be controlled by the motherboard. Perhaps you might want to look into something like the aquacomputer rgbpx controller
Mar 16, 2019
I've been thinking about upgrading my case for more cooling since I have 3 fans and I have room for up to 5 fans. Right now the fans is connected to the fan hub which is connected to the PSU. My Asus motherboard is "Aura sync" compatible and has two RGB headers and they are 4 pins. The problem is, the aura fans that I'm looking at has 3 pins. I am not sure if the "fan hub" that connects to the motherboard "PWM FAN Header" is compatible with my motherboard.

This is my motherboard and the RGB Fan Headers are highlighted in yellow.

SFaiXtP.jpg

Here is the fan that I want for my case.

gSn04BO.jpg

And here is where I am unsure if this compatible to the 4 pins on my motherboard.

THo9k9O.jpg

Will using an adapter like this one should be able to do the trick to support 3 pins to 4 pin and be able to control the speed and change my RGB colors using the software instead of reaching into the case to the hub just to either change the color or speed.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07F8LV1B...uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

610FO3qYsML._SL1000_.jpg

A 4 pin on the motherboard will natively support a 3 pin fan. The fourth pin allows for pulse width modulation which isn't necessary for the fan to work as intended. Many fan headers are 4 pin in order to support fans that use the feature, so most motherboards will have some 3 pin fans into 4 pin headers.

cannond1396

Reputable
Aug 15, 2018
A 4 pin on the motherboard will natively support a 3 pin fan. The fourth pin allows for pulse width modulation which isn't necessary for the fan to work as intended. Many fan headers are 4 pin in order to support fans that use the feature, so most motherboards will have some 3 pin fans into 4 pin headers.
So basically it is "smart" enough to detect it with 3 pins out of 4 pins. I can still use the splitter so that it can connect to more than 2 fans and should not be problem.

AnarchoPrimitiv

Reputable
Jan 12, 2016
First, are you asking about adapting the fan's power and pwm control connector or are you asking about adapting the 5v 3 pin addressable rgb control from the fan? Because that fan has two separate cables, one for power and control and the other for the rgb lighting.

Secondly, there's no such thing as an "RGB fan header".

Thirdly, your motherboard does NOT have a 3 pin, 5v addressable LED header, so literally there is no point to wasting your money on addressable rgb fans unless you plan on buying a separate addressable controller that can stand alone and doesn't need to be controlled by the motherboard. Perhaps you might want to look into something like the aquacomputer rgbpx controller

Solution