Question RGB continually getting fried

Dec 8, 2021
Ok. Here goes. I had 4 thermaltake rgb fans running on my radiator, a TT cpu waterblock and the dp100 distro plate+pump, using the controllers that come with the fans (Riing Plus 12 rgb premium edition). I decided to get the tt sync controller to sync everything up to the motherboard lights. Connected it all correctly following the instructions. Somehow the rgb lights got fried (won't change no matter what I do). Tried reverting back to the original smaller controllers that cam with the fans and they are still stuck. Thinking that the sync controller had some sort of short I ordered a bunch of cheap PWM rgb fans from Amazon (EZDIY-FAB PWM RGB Moonlight 5 pack). These also came with a controller. I plugged a fan rgb cable into my 5v 3 pin on my mobo and it worked just like my RGB fusion was set to. I plugged in the PWM header and it worked also. I then proceeded to plug in all the fans and set them in place on the radiator using the provided controller.

Same thing happened to these that happened to the TT fans. Pop, fizzle and now the leds are stuck in some stupid pattern. Think it has killed the rgb leds in my ek gpu waterblock too. WTF is going on? plugging anything in to the rgb header directly on the motherboard works fine. But any time I use some sort of rgb controller it seems to kill all the leds.

There is a jumper on the motherboard which is set to 5v for the 3 pin argb headers which it has been since i got it. Aorus z390 Ultra.

I'm at a loss. I don't want to keep plugging stuff into my motherboard and having things get fried. No response from TT on why it happened in the first place.

Anyone got any ideas?

Cheers
L

Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra (rev 1.0)
Intel Core i9-9900kf
32 Gb (4x8gb) DDR4 Teamgroup T-Force Vulcan Z memory
MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 2080 Ti (Ek waterblock)
Thermaltake Toughpower 850w PSU
Custom watercooled loop- TT W5 cpu block, DP100 D5 Plus Distro plate and pump combo. Soft tubing. 480mm TT CLM480 radiator
Windows 10 (v10.0.19043 build 19043)

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

This motherboard?

https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_z390-aorus-ultra_1001_181120_e.pdf

[Verify that I identified the correct User Manual.]

Referencing physically numbered Page 15, which specific connectors(s) are being used?

Per Page 18 and Page 19 what jumper configuration and header was used?

Double check all cables, connectors, etc. pin by pin to ensure that all match per motherboard and controller/fan documentation.

Dec 8, 2021

This motherboard?

https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_z390-aorus-ultra_1001_181120_e.pdf

Referencing physically numbered Page 15, which specific connectors(s) are being used?

Double check all cables, connectors, etc. pin by pin to ensure that all match per motherboard and controller/fan documentation.

This motherboard?

Yes thats the motherboard. I am connecting to the header labelled 10 on pg 15. (The only one the 3 pin argb connector will fit on)

Jumper config on page 18 is set to factory default on both headers. Both set to 5v.
e.g. DLED_V_SW1 is set to pins 1-2 (not using this header)
DLED_V_SW2 is set to pins 1-2 ( using this header)

Everything is plugged in correctly.