[SOLVED] RGB Controller Question

Aug 25, 2022
Hey guys, quick question about RGB fans.

I currently have 6 x aRGB Raidmax fans that come with their own RGB controller. While they work fine and RGB works as intended through SignalRGB, I get a bit jealous when I see people running Commander Pro rigs where the fans can be individually addressed. Currently, I have 2 x controllers (1 for each set of 3 fans) connected to my Gigabyte Z690 Gaming connected to the D_LED headers. This means that I can address the fans, but only as a set of 3 (the effect is duplicated for each controller) obviously. Signal RGB also doesn't pick up the Raidmax controller as it's most likely only a (unsupported) splitter, so I add it as a single fan device and specify the number of LEDs for 1 fan.

Is it only the Corsair Commander that allows for each fan to be seen as a separate channel or is it the way it connects? Probably to a USB header?

Will something like the Coolermaster RGB controller give me the same functionality of the Commanders?

I'd love to get a commander and 3 pack fans, but their cost locally is near $200 per 3 pack

Hope my question makes sense

Thank you

Solution
Is it only the Corsair Commander that allows for each fan to be seen as a separate channel or is it the way it connects? Probably to a USB header?

Commander Pro isn't the only one. There's also NZXT HUE+ with AER RGB fans (that i have in my Skylake and Haswell builds, full specs with pics in my sig), the newer NZXT HUE 2 with AER2 RGB fans, newest NZXT RGB&fan controller with F-series fans (specs: https://nzxt.com/product/f120-rgb-duo-triple-pack ) and Asus ROG Aura Terminal as well.

All these, come with dedicated software to control the fancy addressable LEDs (fans, LED strips etc). E.g Corsair has iCUE, NZXT has CAM, Asus has Aura Sync. Also, those command terminals use proprietary connectors and work with only same...

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador

Commander Pro isn't the only one. There's also NZXT HUE+ with AER RGB fans (that i have in my Skylake and Haswell builds, full specs with pics in my sig), the newer NZXT HUE 2 with AER2 RGB fans, newest NZXT RGB&fan controller with F-series fans (specs: https://nzxt.com/product/f120-rgb-duo-triple-pack ) and Asus ROG Aura Terminal as well.

All these, come with dedicated software to control the fancy addressable LEDs (fans, LED strips etc). E.g Corsair has iCUE, NZXT has CAM, Asus has Aura Sync. Also, those command terminals use proprietary connectors and work with only same brand hardware.

Will something like the Coolermaster RGB controller give me the same functionality of the Commanders?

CM RGB LED controller falls into the same ballpark as the ones i described above, since: it too needs specific software to work and it has proprietary connectors. So, it only works with CoolerMaster ARGB fans.

I'd love to get a commander and 3 pack fans, but their cost locally is near $200 per 3 pack

Regarding ARGB, there are 3 options:
  1. Buy the brand ecosystem (Corsair Commander Pro, NZXT RGB, CoolerMaster RGB) and get the most customizable options directly from the compatible software. Also, can be expanded with other hardware (e.g LED strips). Downside is, that it is the most expensive option and making sense what plugs where, can be difficult. But end result is also the most convenient.
  2. Buy the standard 3-pin ARGB header fans, and hook them directly to your MoBo 3-pin ARGB header, while using MoBo software to control the LEDs. Price wise, in the middle. But downsides are lack of (if any) 3-pin ARGB headers on MoBo and MoBo RGB software, usually, isn't that great either.
  3. Buy the complete set with RGB controller and remote. <- This is the "poor man's" RGB option. No software control with this and can control only as much as the remote allows it. On the positive side, this option doesn't require RGB headers on MoBo and can be installed into any system. This is also the cheapest option, since often you can get the whole set (3-5 fans, controller, remote) at the cost of one, proper, ARGB fan.
You have 3rd option. What you want, is 1st option. And yes, it WILL cost a lot of money.

E.g the NZXT set i have, costed me:
€34.40 per one AER140 RGB fan, and i have 3x fans, so = €103.20
€69.70 for HUE+ controller
€41.20 for HUE+ expansion kit (LED strips)
Total: €214.10

And i have the same set in 2 PCs, so, i've spent easy 400 Euros between two PCs, to get 3x ARGB fans and two LED strips, per PC. With that, i got individually addressable LEDs (both in my fans and LED strips), that i can customize however i want, via NZXT CAM software.

I get a bit jealous when I see people running Commander Pro rigs where the fans can be individually addressed.

How jealous you'd be after seeing my rig? :unsure:

My Skylake build:

vgc9bNK.jpg

All RGB you see, is addressable, even the one at the back side of my monitor, built-in to the monitor (illuminating the back wall). Oh, only Corsair ML PRO LED fans have single red color, since i like them like so.

Solution
Aug 25, 2022

All these, come with dedicated software to control the fancy addressable LEDs (fans, LED strips etc). E.g Corsair has iCUE, NZXT has CAM, Asus has Aura Sync. Also, those command terminals use proprietary connectors and work with only same brand hardware.

CM RGB LED controller falls into the same ballpark as the ones i described above, since: it too needs specific software to work and it has proprietary connectors. So, it only works with CoolerMaster ARGB fans.

Regarding ARGB, there are 3 options:
  1. Buy the brand ecosystem (Corsair Commander Pro, NZXT RGB, CoolerMaster RGB) and get the most customizable options directly from the compatible software. Also, can be expanded with other hardware (e.g LED strips). Downside is, that it is the most expensive option and making sense what plugs where, can be difficult. But end result is also the most convenient.
  2. Buy the standard 3-pin ARGB header fans, and hook them directly to your MoBo 3-pin ARGB header, while using MoBo software to control the LEDs. Price wise, in the middle. But downsides are lack of (if any) 3-pin ARGB headers on MoBo and MoBo RGB software, usually, isn't that great either.
  3. Buy the complete set with RGB controller and remote. <- This is the "poor man's" RGB option. No software control with this and can control only as much as the remote allows it. On the positive side, this option doesn't require RGB headers on MoBo and can be installed into any system. This is also the cheapest option, since often you can get the whole set (3-5 fans, controller, remote) at the cost of one, proper, ARGB fan.
You have 3rd option. What you want, is 1st option. And yes, it WILL cost a lot of money.

E.g the NZXT set i have, costed me:
€34.40 per one AER140 RGB fan, and i have 3x fans, so = €103.20
€69.70 for HUE+ controller
€41.20 for HUE+ expansion kit (LED strips)
Total: €214.10

And i have the same set in 2 PCs, so, i've spent easy 400 Euros between two PCs, to get 3x ARGB fans and two LED strips, per PC. With that, i got individually addressable LEDs (both in my fans and LED strips), that i can customize however i want, via NZXT CAM software.

How jealous you'd be after seeing my rig? :unsure:

My Skylake build:

vgc9bNK.jpg

All RGB you see, is addressable, even the one at the back side of my monitor, built-in to the monitor (illuminating the back wall). Oh, only Corsair ML PRO LED fans have single red color, since i like them like so.
Thank you for a very detailed response. It's exactly what I was looking for, even though it's not the answer I was looking for. I'll have a look on Ebay for some Corsair or NZXT stuff

Thanks

Reactions: Aeacus
Aug 25, 2022
So I need a Commander/Lightning Node AND RGB Fan Controller if I go Corsair?

Sorry, I come from the days where cathode tubes and plexiglass cutouts were the epitome of gaming rigs, RGB stuff confuses the hell out of me

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
So I need a Commander/Lightning Node AND RGB Fan Controller if I go Corsair?

As you can see from the image above, you'll either need Commander Pro or Lighting Node Pro. You don't need both.

But you still need the RGB hub, which is usually included with fan multi packs.

Lighting Node Pro only controls the RGB, where you still need to hook the fans power somewhere.
Commander Pro also provides power for the fans and has temp probes (4x).

Reactions: joeybutterhands