[SOLVED] RGB controller

Mar 22, 2019
Strap yourselves in, this is going to be a long story.

Recently, I have acquired a CoolerMaster mc500m case with it's own RGB controller pre-installed. The PCB worked fine until I plugged in my LED strip. At that point the control PCB overheated, smoked and refuses to work now. Rest in pepperoni - time for plan B.

The case comes with a RGB plate as well as a controller, and as my motherboard is a z170 chipset, it does not have a native RGB header. I am trying to get the RGB on that plate working again, as well as the RGB on my CPU watercooling pump (which is a Deepcool Gammamax L240 for reference).

Seeing how I am officially fucked (pardon the french), I am left with a few choices.

A few choices on the store:

https://www.cmstore.eu/spare-parts/cosmos-c700p-mc500m-control-pcb-c2055-01-sj-version-2/ This is the original PCB plate, but as I am located in Australia, it would include shipping from, and a few reviews from the case, not the PCB claimed it was fragile to begin with. Big surprise. The concerns are the shipping costs, time it takes to ship, and whether it would be damaged in transit.

The second option from Mwave includes a CoolerMaster fan controller https://www.mwave.com.au/product/cooler-master-rgb-led-controller-ac05731. However I am uncertain whether that would work with the RGB plate with my case (even though the case is a coolermaster itself), and my Deepcool waterpump. I am even unsure whether it has enough 4 pin power connectors to power both of them, and even then how to control it, and if it would work. A few reviews say CoolerMaster RGB controllers work only with coolermaster products, however to my mind that makes no sense.

The third option is a Corsair commander pro from pccasegear https://www.pccasegear.com/products...lXNwQZA6Et1dpAla0HkaAqqEEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds However I ask myself the same question as option 2 to whether it will work.

Fourth option, is there any ways to repair the original PCB via a third party electronics "fixer"?

So my query is this. If I go with option 2 and 3, will those work with the RGB plate installed in my mc500m case AND my deepcool waterpump, or should I bite the bullet and re-order the original part, and hope to whatever gods are there that it doesn't get damaged in transit. It is also worth considering whether I should return the original plate and claim it was faulty, however to my knowledge I do not see any CoolerMaster stores in Australia to be returned to - resulting in a bigger wait, and which would result me in getting option 1, as it would be quicker.

Thank you in advance for your advice.

Solution
i'd go for the cooler master rgb controller. this one can be hooked on to your computer via usb (internal or external) so that you can modify the rgb to your own needs with CoolerMaster MasterPlus. (do some research btw, im kinda new to this usb-rgb controller thing-a-m'jiggy too)

gamerbrehdy

Honorable
Jun 15, 2018
i'd go for the cooler master rgb controller. this one can be hooked on to your computer via usb (internal or external) so that you can modify the rgb to your own needs with CoolerMaster MasterPlus. (do some research btw, im kinda new to this usb-rgb controller thing-a-m'jiggy too)

Solution
Mar 22, 2019

Thank you for your advice, however I have taken that already into consideration.