[SOLVED] RGB extension cable? And how does multiple fans in 1x 3 pin header work?

Apr 15, 2021
So I just added 6 rgb fans daisy chained together, problem is they don't reach the 3 pin on my mobo. Is there argb extension cables that can do 6 fans? Don't need 6 way splitter just need M+F cable (3+1 pin ARGB), they already daisy chain into each other.

And my other question is; if they're all plugged into the same ARGB header through a daisy chain, will it read them as 6 fans for individual light control effects or as 1 fan and only synced/mirrored group control requiring a 6 way argb hub for single control?

Solution
An example

https://www.amazon.com/Micro-Connec...keywords=argb+extension&qid=1622407537&sr=8-3

That's a 2-pack of (3-1) [pin ARGB Extension cables, 1 ft long. (2 ft available from the same seller.) Can they handle the load of six fans? Yes, assuming the fans are "normal" and CAN be handled properly by a single mobo header. If you want absolute certainty on that, tell us the maker and exact model number of your mobo, and likewise of your fans, so we can look up all their specs.

As CountMike says VERY likely all six will sync and perform identically. To get them all to behave like one long light strip in six segments, with a progressing pattern flowing though the...
So I just added 6 rgb fans daisy chained together, problem is they don't reach the 3 pin on my mobo. Is there argb extension cables that can do 6 fans? Don't need 6 way splitter just need M+F cable (3+1 pin ARGB), they already daisy chain into each other.

And my other question is; if they're all plugged into the same ARGB header through a daisy chain, will it read them as 6 fans for individual light control effects or as 1 fan and only synced/mirrored group control requiring a 6 way argb hub for single control?
Yes, such extension cables do exist. All lights will be synchronized and work in unison.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
An example

https://www.amazon.com/Micro-Connec...keywords=argb+extension&qid=1622407537&sr=8-3

That's a 2-pack of (3-1) [pin ARGB Extension cables, 1 ft long. (2 ft available from the same seller.) Can they handle the load of six fans? Yes, assuming the fans are "normal" and CAN be handled properly by a single mobo header. If you want absolute certainty on that, tell us the maker and exact model number of your mobo, and likewise of your fans, so we can look up all their specs.

As CountMike says VERY likely all six will sync and perform identically. To get them all to behave like one long light strip in six segments, with a progressing pattern flowing though the entire line, would require more complex design and evev particular connections. I don't remember ever seeing such a thing. A FEW ARGB lighting controllers MAY do this by sending separated signal segments out of a series of ports, but not all do, and certainly NOT any plain Hub.

Last edited:
Reactions: CountMike
Solution